|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Other||2 Hours. Debate|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||One piece of coursework - 2500 words||20%|
|Semester Exam||2 Hours||80%|
|Supplementary Assessment||One piece of coursework - 2500 words||20%|
|Supplementary Exam||2 Hours||80%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
* Have a knowledge of the structure, pattern and growth of world trade.
* Understand the determinants of trade and empirical evidence.
* Appreciate the arguments for and against globalisation.
* Have a knowledge of the impact of protective measures on economies and companies.
* Understand the rationale behind the formation of economic blocs.
* Appreciate the role of the WTO and its dispute settlement procedures.
This module aims to provide students with an understanding of the underlying causes of trade patterns, trade policy issues, the role of the WTO and the formation of regional economic blocs.
This module introduces students to the structure, patterns and growth of international trade and its causes, globalisation and the role of trade policy and the WTO as well as examining the reasons for regional economic blocs and their implications.
- Introduction - world trade, structure, pattern growth
- The determinants of trade patterns
- Globalisation and trade policy
- Trade policy instruments
- The role of the WTO
- Regionalism and the world economy
More specifically by taking this module students will enhance several transferable skills. Attendance at lectures should help note taking. Essay writing will enhance writing as well as time management skills and problem solving. The debates should also enhance teamwork, communication and presentational skills and reinforce further time management skills. The inclusion of web sites and encouragement to use the library fully should help to enhance basic IT and research skills.
Reading ListRecommended Text
Appleyard, D and Field, A J International Economics 4th edition McGraw Hill Primo search Ingham, B International Economics: A European Focus FT Prentice Hall Primo search Kreinin, M E International Economics 9th Edition South Western Thompson Primo search Sawyer, W C and Sprinkle, R L International Economics 2nd edition Pearson Prentice Hall Primo search Supplementary Text
Kerr, W A and Perdikis, N. (1995) The Economics of International Business Chapman and Hall Primo search Winters, L A International Economics 4th Edition Routledge Primo search
This module is at CQFW Level 6