|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Seminars / Tutorials||10 Hours. (10 x 1 hour seminars)|
|Lecture||20 Hours. (20 x 1 hour lectures: two per week for 10 weeks)|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Continuous Assessment: 2 x 2000 word essays||50%|
|Semester Exam||2 Hours (Answer two questions on a two hour examination paper)||50%|
|Supplementary Assessment||2 Hours Resubmit or resit failed elements and/or make good any missing elements|
On the completion of this module students should typically be better able to:
1. read literary texts in an informed and critical way;
2. discuss literary texts coherently;
3. write about literary texts in a well-structured and well-argued manner.
1. to introduce students to key aspects of contemporary writing in English through a wide range of forms, style, and linguistic registers in poetry, short fiction, drama, and film;
2. to introduce students to a range of current issues and debates in English Studies and contemporary writing;
3. to increase the reading range of students and encourage them to become reflective and responsive readers.
In the seminars, students can present and investigate their own ideas on the meaning and worth of the set texts. What has the text communicated to you personally, and how does your opinion relate to those of other students and critics?
Tony Harrison, 'Selected Poems'
A.S. Byatt, 'Elementals'
Charlotte Williams, 'Sugar and Slate', Mohsin Hamid, 'The Reluctant Fundamentalist'
Jackie Kay, 'Trumpet'
Jeanette Winterson, 'The Passion'
_Cultures in Contact:
Zadie Smith, 'White Teeth'
Alex Garland, 'The Beach'
(Subject to release of videos, we shall also consider the new film adaptations of both of these latter titles.)
Reading ListShould Be Purchased
A.S. Byatt (1998) Elementals Vintage Primo search Alex Garland (1996) The Beach Penguin Primo search Charlotte Williams (2002) Sugar and Slate Planet Primo search Jeanette Winterson (1996) The Passion Vintage Primo search Kay, Jackie (1999) Trumpet Picador Primo search Mohsin Hamid (2008) The Reluctant Fundamentalist Penguin Primo search Tony Harrison (1995) Selected Poems Penguin Primo search Zadie Smith (2001) White Teeth Penguin Primo search
This module is at CQFW Level 4