|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Seminars / Tutorials||20 hours of lectures/semianrs|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||1 X 3,500 WORD ESSAY||75%|
|Semester Assessment||2 X ORAL PRESENTATIONS (15-20 MINS)||25%|
|Supplementary Assessment||ESSAY TO BE RESUBMITTED IF FAILED||75%|
|Supplementary Assessment||WRITTEN WORK IN LIEU OF ORAL WORK, IF FAILED||25%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
demonstarte a critical understanding of the key developments in French language since 1900
demonstarte a critical understanding of contemporary scholarship concerning these developments
articulate their own stance on these issues
demonstrate a critical understanding of the complex relationship between language and society in contemporary France
demonstrate that they have mastered advanced skills as critical students of lingustics
demonstrate that they have mastered sophisticated analytical skills
use secondary literature critically
express themselves clearly, coherently and in a logical fashion, both orally and in writing
demonstrate that they have a solid foundation for further postgraduate work
1. Where Freanch wsa at the end of the Nineteenth Century: the evidence of the Atlas Linguistique de la France (1902-1910). 2 hours.
2. Phonetics and the discovery of francais populaire. 2 hours.
3. Education and the French Language: from Jules Ferry (1882) to La Loi Deixonne (1951). 1 hour.
4.The First World War, the poilus, demography, and linguistic change. 1 hour.
5. The loss of dialects, 1945-2000. 1 hour.
6. The resurgence of regionalism. 1 hour.
7. Minority Languages and the European Cahrter of 1992. 1 hour.
8. Spoken and written codes. 2 hours.
9. Lexical change (i): neoligisms. 1 hour.
10. Lexical change (ii): Anglicism. 1 hour.
11. The politics of alnguage: Francophonie, inside and outside France. 2 hours.
12. The impact of immigration and language contact. 1 hour.
13. Le langage des jeunes. 1 hour.
14. New media, new langauge? 1 hour.
15. The future of French; conclusions. 2 hours.
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number|
|Communication||Participating in seminars and writing of essay will require student to express their ideas clearly, cogently and coherently.|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||Independent preparation for essay and seminars, independent research for essay and seminars.|
|Information Technology||Students will be required to access bibliographical information and to submit word processed essays.|
|Personal Development and Career planning||Student will be expected to show an ability to manage their own time effectively and to engage in independent lines of research in preparing their essays.|
|Problem solving||Selection of reading material, answering questions posed by written assessment, seminar work|
|Research skills||Researching for essay and seminar|
|Subject Specific Skills||Students will be required to read material in Frencg (and if possible, in other languages beyond English) in order to prepare for semianrs and/or essays.|
|Team work||Will apply in the seminars|
This module is at CQFW Level 7