|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Practical||Practicals / Field Days. 3 x 2 hours (Introductory Sessions); 5 x 4 hours (Practicals); Up to 18 days (Fieldcourse).|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Written Reports and maps/graphs to be submitted during the fieldwork period and during Week 11 of Semester 2. Details of assignments provided by fieldtrip leaders via the fieldcourse handbook. Course Work:||100%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Students who fail to attend the field course without good reason will not be permitted a resit. Students who attend the field course but fail the assessment will be given the opportunity to resubmit assessments by a date to be agreed with the module co-ordinator. Students whose reasons for failing to attend the field course are condoned will be permitted to submit a 5,000 word project for assessment of a type and by a date to be agreed with the module co-ordinator, for a maximum mark of 100%.||100%|
On succesful completion of the module, students should :
- Be technically proficient in undertaking field based geographical research (e.g. in the field operation of hydrological instruments, field identification of soils and their classification, vegetation identification and basic field survey).
- Appreciate the logistics involved in undertaking different types of fieldwork operations.
- Demonstrate an ability to analyse data and present results of original field measurements in a technically-sound report.
- Have increased ability to observe critically, and contrast with the UK, foreign physical and people/place attributes
- Mapping and field sketching
- Hypothesis formation
- Hypothesis testing
- Keeping a field notebook
- Group skills
- Communication skills
- Research skills
- Problem solving
To provide the technical framework for study of physical environments and to allow the development of expertise in specific measurement techniques.
- Fieldcourse organisation: to include aspects of project planning and appropriate practicals
This module is at CQFW Level 5