|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Lecture||1 x 2 hour lecture per week|
|Practical||2 x 2 hour practicals (visits) during semester|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Exam||2 Hours outcomes assessed 1,2,3,4,5,6,7||80%|
|Semester Assessment||Presentation assignment||20%|
|Semester Exam||2 Hours Supplementary examination||100%|
On successful completion of this module, students will be able to:
1. Identify veterinary terminology.
2. Distinguish between sick and healthy animals on the basis of behavioural changes and by recording basic eiagnostic parameters (temperature, pulse and respiration).
3. Describe common systemic diseases of domestic livestock.
4. Discuss preventative control measures available for these diseases.
5. Apply knowledge of animal welfare to provide better environment for animals on a holding as well as during transport.
6. Discuss the administration of first aid to animals.
7. Write and convey reports on the condition of a sick animal.
The module aims to develop students' knowledge and skills in basic aspects of animal health and welfare. Special emphasis will be given to the principles of epidemiology of common systemic diseases in the individual animal as well as on a herd basis. Animal welfare guidelines along with the recommendations for the care of sick and injured animals and management of minor wounds will be discussed. Zoonoses will also be considered. Veterinary terminology related to all these areas will be covered in depth. This module will also provide the basic principles relevant to other modules in animal science and production.
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Communication||Written communication - examination.|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||Developed for examination.|
|Research skills||Research into veterinary diseases, control and treatment, using peer reviewed journal sources in preparation for exam.|
Reading ListEssential Reading
BLOWEY, R (1999) Veterinary book for dairy farmers Farming Press Primo search WINTER, A and CHARNLEY, J (1999) Sheep keeper's veterinary handbook Crowood Press Primo search FARM ANIMAL WELFARE COUNCIL (2003) Code of recommendations for the welfare of livestock (Cattle PB0074; Sheep PB0078; Pigs PB0080; Goats PB0081; Domestic fowl PB0076) HMSO Primo search Recommended Consultation
AIELLO, S E The Merck veterinary manual 8th Merck & Co Primo search BLOOD, D C and STUDDERT, V P (1998) Saunders' comprehensive veterinary dictionary W B Saunders Primo search BODEN, E (1999) Black's Veterinary Dictionary A & C Black Primo search Consult For Futher Information
RSPCA RSPCA veterinary health plans: guidance notes 1998 - 20053 RSPCA Primo search
This module is at CQFW Level 5