|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Lecture||1 hour. 50 hours of work experience. Tutorials according to need|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Exam||Coursework A portfolio||100%|
|Supplementary Exam||Resubmit portfolio||100%|
On completion of this module, students should be able to:
1. Complete a self-analysis of skills, strengths and weaknesses
2. Secure and complete 50 hours of work experience
3. Demonstrate a knowledge of what the employing organization does, how it is managed, and what the student's role within the organization is, together with an awareness of statutory regulations such as Health and Safety
4. Demonstrate an ability to apply skills and knowledge in a work situation and to evaluate this
5. Produce an action plan for future development of personal employability skills
Before the student can undertake any work experience they must get agreement from the Sports and Exercise Department that the employer is suitable. They must ensure both sections of the `Work Experience Module: Health and Safety Questionnaire? are completed and a letter from the companies broker/insurance company which identifies the level of liability insurance cover and clearly states the dates for which the cover is valid is included. A copy of this questionnaire and letter must be handed over to the department prior the commencement of any work experience and a copy included in the assessed portfolio.
2. Self-analyse and develop employability skills.
3. Produce a portfolio of evidence.
Brockbank, A. and McGill, I. (1998) Facilitating reflective learning in H.E. Open University Press, London Primo search Guirdhamn, M. (1995) Interpersonal skills at work. 2nd ed Prentice Hall, London Primo search Longson,S. (1999) Making work experience count How to Books Primo search Mumford, A., Pedlar, M. and Boydell, T. (1998) Learning to learn and managing self development in organizations Prentice-Hall, N.Y. Primo search Reeves, T. (1994) Managing effectively: developing yourself through work experience Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford Primo search
This module is at CQFW Level 5