THE PRINCIPLES OF DIRECTING DRAMATIC TEXTS
Intended for use in future years
Successful completion of Part 1 Drama. Entry to this module is by formal interview.
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||1. Work in progress 2. Practical evaluation||70%|
|Semester Assessment||Scene Analysis||30%|
Typically, upon completion of this module, the student should be able to:
- Use appropriate methodologies in the analysis of a theatre text from a stage director'r point of view.
- Direct rehearsals and offer appropriate assistance to actors in the creation of a short theatre extract, presented before peers.
- To introduce students to the basic principles and methodologies of directing theatrical texts.
- To provide opportunities for students to practice such principles and methodologies, under supervision, in the context of a rehearsal environment.
- Practical exploration of directing methodologies and techniques, including composing the stage picture, developing the through-line of action, intentions and actions, characterization through both psychological and physical exploration.
- An opportunity to work independently on the selection, rehearsal and presentation of a short-play extract. The first of these will be presented during the class times for the module and the second involving up to four actors, of a maximum of six minutes duration, at Gregynog.
Students should note that places on this module are restricted to those who convince the assessors of their aptitude and ability to take this module through a Departmental interview at the end of Semester 1 of the second year which will involve a minimum of two examiners.
Reading ListRecommended Text
Abbot, John (2007) The Improvisation Book Nick Hern Books Primo search Alfreds, Mike (2008) Different Every Night: Freeing the Actor Nick Hern Books Primo search Bartow, A. (1988) The Director's Voice Theatre Communications Group Primo search Boal, Augusto (2002) Games for Actors and Non Actors Routledge Primo search Bogart, Anne (2001) A Director Prepares: Seven Essays on Art and Theatre Routledge Primo search Brady, David and Williams, David (1988) Directors' Theatre Macmillan Primo search Braun, Edward, (1982) The Director and the Stage Methuen Primo search Brook, Peter (1972) The Empty Space Penguin Primo search Cole, Toby and Chinoy, Helen Kirch (1976) Directors on Directing Indianapolis Primo search Delgado & Heritage (eds.), (1996) In Contact with the Gods Manchester University Press Primo search Dennis, Anne (2006) The Articulate Body: The Physical Training of the Actor Nick Hern Books Primo search Giannachi, Gabriella (ed.) (1999) On Directing Faber and Faber Primo search Gorchakov, Michael A (1954) Stanislavsky Directs Primo search Hodge, Alison (1999) Twentieth Century Actor Training Routledge Primo search Hodge, Francis (1982) Play Directing, Analysis, Communication, and Style Eaglewood Cliffs, N.J. Primo search Mackintosh, Ian (1993) Architecture, Actor and Audience Routledge Primo search Miller, J (1986) Subsequent Performances Primo search Mitchell, Katie (2008) The Director's Craft: A Handbook for the Theatre Routledge Primo search Mitter, Shomit (1992) Systems of Rehearsal Primo search Roose-Evans, James (1984) Experimental Theatre from Stanislavsky to Peter Brook Routledge Primo search Taylor, Don, (1996) Directing Plays A & C Black Primo search
This module is at CQFW Level 5