|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Seminars / Tutorials||20 Hours. 10 x 2 hour seminars|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||2 essays (2,500 words each) Continuous Assessment:||100%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Resubmit any failed elements and/or make good any missing elements. Where this involves re-submission of work, a new topic must be selected.|
On completion of this module students should typically be able to:
1. discuss the subject coherently;
2. write about the subject in a well-structured and well argued manner;
3. have added to their knowledge of the corpus of American literature;
4. have developed their powers of critical analysis.
1. to introduce students to the short story as a literary genre, with special reference to the development of the form in the United States;
2. to enable students to appreciate the distinctive features of this genre, particularly the fact that the short story has its own compositional characteristics and is not simply an abbreviated or compressed novel;
3. to explore a range of diverse reading strategies and compare their merits and capabilities in practice.
_The American Short Story and its Antecedents
1. Types and Definitions of the Short Story: Myths, Legends, Fairy Tales, Folk Tales, Character Sketches, Parables, Exempla
2. Washington Irving, The Sketch-Book of Geoffrey Crayon, Gent.
_The American Short Story, Nineteenth Century
3. Edgar Allan Poe, Selected Tales
4. Lecture on the Short Story Genre and Narratological approaches to short fiction.
5. Henry James, Daisy Miller and Other Stories
6. Four Stories by American Women: Rebecca Harding Davis, Life in the Iron Mills; Charlotte Perkins Gilman, The Yellow Wallpaper; Sarah Orne Jewett, Country of the Pointed Firs; Edith Wharton, Souls Belated
_The American Short Story, Twentieth Century
7-8. Hemingway, The First Forty Nine Stories
9-10. Richard Ford (ed.), The Granta Book of the American Short Story
Reading ListShould Be Purchased
Baldwin, James Going to Meet the Man Penguin Primo search Edgar Allan Poe (ed. Julian Symons) (1980) Selected Tales Oxford World's Classics Primo search Henry James (ed. Jean Gooder) (1998) Daisy Miller and Other Stories Oxford World's Classics Primo search Richard Ford (ed.) (1998) The Granta Book of the American Short Story Granta Books Primo search Welty, Eudora (1983) Collected Short Stories Penguin Primo search Wharton, Edith (1999) Ethan Frome Cambridge Primo search
This module is at CQFW Level 6