|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Lecture||10 x 1-hour lectures|
|Seminars / Tutorials||10 x 1-hour seminars|
|Workload Breakdown||20hrs in research, 100hrs in reading of research material, 40hrs in selection of reading material and critical analysis, 20hrs in written dossiers, 20hrs in preparation for oral presentations.|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Exam||2 Hours written examination||40%|
|Semester Assessment||20% Presentation. 20% Essay, 20% Dossier Continuous assessment:||60%|
|Supplementary Exam||2 Hours written examination||100%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Read in a critical way intellectually challenging articles and books in French.
2. Analyze in a critical manner the cultural, legal, political and social issues in France.
3. Develop highly written structures and use proficient teminology in French.
4. Develop oral structures and the skills for oral presentations in French.
This module should enable students to analyze in a critical manner the political, social, cultural and legal affairs taking place in France in 2005-2006. (It will cover only the very latest developments affecting French life in each academic year).
The exam will be in the target language (2 hours written). The mark of the written exam and the continuous assessment will be equally based on content and language.
This module will analyze 4 topics which are as follows:
- The French political system: the National Assembly, the Senate, national and regional elections, political parties and their programs
- The current social debate in France of 2005-2006
- Understanding the very latest legal changes affecting a variety of issues (e.g. the debate on gay marriages)
- The social debate, the political responses and the legal reforms will be analyzed within the content.
- The current linguistic situation in France (the European Charter of Regional or Minority Languages and the position of the French goverment).
- Immigration policies and their implications on today's France.
- Reforming the traditional structures of French society (economic, social, educational, etc).
- An open topic depending on the very latest issues in French society (elections, war issues, the European Constitution, etc).
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||Arithmetic and statistical analysis of data (surveys, opinion polls, etc).|
|Communication||Oral presentation and debates.|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||Research, analytical skills, oral presentations, written dossiers.|
|Information Technology||Official web pages, online journals and newspapers.|
|Personal Development and Career planning||Research, oral presentations, dossiers and critical analysis of data and comparative analysis of news covered in different media.|
|Problem solving||Selection of reading material.|
|Research skills||Research of adequate material on specific topic.|
|Subject Specific Skills||Original thinking and development of personal opinion.|
|Team work||Team research strategies and team network of research material.|
This module is at CQFW Level 5