|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Seminar||6 x 1 Hour Seminars|
|Lecture||22 x 1 Hour Lectures|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Exam||2 Hours Unseen written examination||80%|
|Semester Assessment||One piece of coursework - 2500 words||20%|
|Supplementary Exam||2 Hours Unseen written examination||80%|
|Supplementary Assessment||One piece of coursework - 2500 words||20%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
* Have a knowledge of the structure, pattern and growth of world trade.
* Understand the determinants of trade and empirical evidence.
* Appreciate the arguments for and against globalisation.
* Have a knowledge of the impact of protective measures on economies and companies.
* Understand the rationale behind the formation of economic blocs.
* Appreciate the role of the WTO and its dispute settlement procedures.
This module aims to provide students with an understanding of the underlying causes of trade patterns, trade policy issues, the role of the WTO and the formation of regional economic blocs.
This module introduces students to the structure, patterns and growth of international trade and its causes, globalisation and the role of trade policy and the WTO as well as examining the reasons for regional economic blocs and their implications.
- Introduction - world trade, structure, pattern growth
- The determinants of trade patterns
- Globalisation and trade policy
- Trade policy instruments
- The role of the WTO
- Regionalism and the world economy
More specifically by taking this module students will enhance several transferable skills. Attendance at lectures should help note taking. Essay writing will enhance writing as well as time management skills and problem solving. The debates should also enhance teamwork, communication and presentational skills and reinforce further time management skills. The inclusion of web sites and encouragement to use the library fully should help to enhance basic IT and research skills.
This module is at CQFW Level 6