- Dr Theodore Kypraios (Associate Professor - University of Nottingham)
|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Seminar||11 x 1 Hour Seminars|
|Lecture||11 x 1 Hour Lectures|
|Practical||11 x 2 Hour Practicals|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Exam||4 Hours 4-hour practical examination (open book, computer-based) - 50% Two assessed reports of statistical analyses - 2 x 20% Presentation of results of one analysis - 10%||50%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Resubmission of failed components|
On completion of this module, students should be able to.
Select and apply appropriate statistical methods to problems in Computational Biology.
Use a statistical package such as R to analyse Biological data.
Design experiments in a way that facilitates correct use of advanced methods for data analysis.
Interpret and report the results of analyses effectively.
Statistical concepts and ideas are presented using examples from Computational Biology. Various statistical methods are applied using the statistical package R
2. Introduction to the statistical package R
3. Probability, conditional probability and Bayes? Theorem
4. Statistical distributions
5. Statistical models, estimation and testing.
6. t-tests and z-tests
7. Good and bad experimental design; sample size.
8. ANOVA and multiple comparisons
9. Simple, multiple and curvilinear regression
10. Chi-squared techniques and contingency tables
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||Inherent in the study of statistics and statistical methods|
|Communication||Seminars and presentation|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||Self study|
|Information Technology||Mastery of a statistical package such as R|
|Personal Development and Career planning|
|Problem solving||Inherent to application of statistics to problems in Computational Biology|
|Research skills||Experimental design. Extracting relevant information from published sources|
|Subject Specific Skills||Developing expertise in statistical analysis|
|Team work||Joint work in seminars|
This module is at CQFW Level 7