|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Lecture||4 x 1 Hour Lectures|
|Seminar||5 x 2 Hour Seminars|
|Lecture||3 x 2 Hour Lectures|
|Practical||5 x 2 Hour Practicals|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Project Report of 10000 words||100%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Project Report of 10000 words||100%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
* Assess and evaluate information from a range of sources
* Undertake a targeted review of literature
* Design and conduct appropriate research
* Analyse and present results
* Present valid discussion, conclusions and recommendations
On completion of this module, students should be able to:
1. Assess and evaluate information from a range of sources
2. Undertake a targeted review of literature
3. Design and conduct appropriate research
4. Analyse and present results
5. Present valid discussion, conclusions and recommendations
1. What is a research project for? Getting started on your project.
2. Supervision. Making best use of your supervisor.
3. Review of quantitative data analysis.
4. Review of qualitative data analysis.
5. Further help with quantitative data.
6. Further help with qualitative data.
Lectures Semester 2 (1 hour each)
7. Conclusions. Writing up, layout style and voice. Dealing with tables, figures, reference list and appendices.
8. Q and A session Three question and answer sessions will take place every two weeks.
9. Q and A session.
10. Q and A session.
Workshops (2 hours each, in groups of 16) classrooms
11. Project planning and time management.
12. Aims and objectives.
13. Literature review, references and citation.
14. Implementing research methods.
15. Taking stock of progress.
Workshops (2 hours each, in groups of 16) computer labs
16. Working with quantitative data.
17. Working with quantitative data.
18. Working with qualitative data.
19. Working with qualitative data.
20. Putting it all together.
Students should also meet with supervisors, for up to 5 hours in total but preferably fortnightly for approximately 15 mins. Regular submission of chapter drafts is recommended.
Supervisors will be required to complete a short form on each student's progress twice a semester. This will be shared with the student and be taken into account in the marking of the project.
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||Opportunities for use of quantitative techniques appropriate to the selected topic.|
|Communication||Through supervision, developing proposal, monitoring progress, revising draft.|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||Organizational and research skills; developing skill of learning how to learn independently.|
|Information Technology||Accessing internet for appropriate reference material; use of information technology in data analysis, preparation and presentation of report.|
|Personal Development and Career planning||Self-management, initiative, independence and self-awareness.|
|Problem solving||Discussion in preparatory lectures, development in project proposal and applied in research and completion of report.|
|Research skills||Obtaining, selecting, assimilating information from a variety of sources for preparing report.|
|Subject Specific Skills||Application of qualitative and quantitative skills to specific management scenarios and current business environment.|
This module is at CQFW Level 6