|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Workshop||1 x 9 Hour Workshop|
|Workshop||2 x 4 Hour Workshops|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Assessed Essay (1500 words)||50%|
|Semester Assessment||Reflective Report (1500 words)||50%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Assessed Essay (1500 words) Repeat any failed elements||50%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Reflective Report (1500 words) Repeat any failed elements||50%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. critically evaluate the range of academic approaches to leadership;
2. critically evaluate the importance of vision, values and responsible leadership to the strategic and operation management of research programmes and projects;
3. understand and evaluate the challenges of leadership in complex, boundary-spanning contexts such as found in inter- and multi-disciplinary research programmes involving a range of stakeholders;
4. critically self-reflect on personal leadership attributes and style, and appreciate areas of potential future personal leadership development.
The purpose of this module is to introduce postgraduate researchers to the range and models of leadership, to apply these models in the context of managing and leading research teams, and to provide students with the opportunity to explore through experiential learning leadership styles and behaviours.
• allow students to gain a critical understanding of the range of academic approaches to leadership, including characteristics, styles, context, and involving complexity and boundary-spanning
• allow students to develop familiarity with research on leadership
• allow students to explore the implications of those approaches in the context of managing and leading the research process
• allow students to gain a critical understanding in an experiential learning context of the importance and impact of leadership styles, approaches and behaviours
Half day 1 (3.5 hours): leadership approaches and theories
Half day 2 (3.5 hours): leadership research – traits, characteristics, context
Half day 3 (3.5 hours): leading research: vision and values, objectives, strategy
Full day 4 (7 hours): experiential learning on leadership – leadership styles and behaviours.
This module is at CQFW Level 7