|Delivery Type||Delivery length / details|
|Field Trip||3 x 4 Hour Field Trips|
|Lecture||2 x 2 Hour Lectures|
|Practical||3 x 3 Hour Practicals|
|Lecture||11 x 2 Hour Lectures|
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Planning assignment. Devise and plan an appropriate work-based activity including a risk assessment.||60%|
|Semester Exam||1.5 Hours||40%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Students must take elements of assessment equivalent to those that led to failure of the module.||60%|
|Supplementary Exam||1.5 Hours Students must take elements of assessment equivalent to those that led to failure of the module.||40%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Undertake individual skill development in practical area(s) chosen.
2. Describe how to manage incidents or emergencies in the land-based sector.
3. Describe the Health and Safety legislation/regulations and undertake a risk assessment relevant to appropriate activities the land-based sector.
4. Plan and organise different types of work-based activities by individuals/groups.
It is anticipated that students will gain awarding body qualifications as part of this training process but that this will not be a criterion for passing the module. Completion of qualifications may occur after the completion of the module and may require further training / assessment.
Formal teaching of relevant health and safety regulations, undertaking risk assessments, and how to manage emergencies and incidents in the land-based sector will be carried out. The effective use of communication, supervision of people and group management in different contexts will be developed in lectures, workshops and presentations in Semester 1.
1. Individual skill development in practical area(s) chosen:
Major certification such as chainsaw, first aid at work (4 day course)
Minor certification such as trailer towing, driving ATV, brushcutter, knapsack spraying, livestock handling, pest control, manual handling.
It is anticipated that training courses will be of at least 5 days duration in total and that students will need to practice the skills developed within the training.
2. Health and safety legislation.
3. Managing emergencies and incidents.
4. Undertaking risk assessments.
5. Effective group management ? work teams/volunteer groups.
6. Effective group management ? organising events.
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||Undertaken in assignments.|
|Communication||Written and visual communication in assignments|
|Improving own Learning and Performance|
|Information Technology||Developed in assignments.|
|Personal Development and Career planning||Key skills required for employment in land-based industries are developed|
|Problem solving||Undertaken in assignments.|
|Research skills||Undertaken in assignments.|
|Subject Specific Skills|
This module is at CQFW Level 5