|Assessment length / details
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
Demonstrate an ability to conduct small and large scale survey projects
Collect qualitative data
Demonstrate an ability to manage research data , and use IT in such data management
Conduct research in a manner which is consistent with professional practice
Produce and interrogate qualitative data
This module is designed to be an integral component of the RT courses which the University has introduced in order to meet the joint funding Research Councils statement on Research Training. Through this module Masters and PhD students will gain a broad knowledge of a range of transferable skills which they can apply in a variety of research contexts.
This module is designed to give students a grounding in the basic principles of qualitative research methodology. It will provide students with an introduction to the major methods of qualitative data collection and analysis, how qualitative data are actively constructed and interpreted by a researcher and an appreciation of the practical and epistemological concerns raised by qualitative data collection.
- Principles of Qualitative Research
- Designs - qualitative and mixed methods
- Data Collection including Sampling, In depth interviews, Focus groups, Interviewing, (preparation, protocol, design, implementation, questionnaires)
- Data Analysis including Content Analysis,Grounded theory, Discourse analysis, Archival analysis
- Interdisciplinary research
This module is at CQFW Level 7