|Delivery length / details
|11 x 1 Hour Lectures
|11 x 2 Hour Practicals
|Assessment length / details
|Case study assignment.
|Students must take elements of assessment equivalent to those that led to failure of the module.
|2 Hours Students must take elements of assessment equivalent to those that led to failure of the module.
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Evaluate general management principles and techniques
2. Discuss practical ways to optimize horse health and welfare
3. Evaluate different yard layouts and facilities for horses
4. Outline the legal requirements relating to an equine business
This module will provide in-depth study of stable management, building upon the skills learnt in Horsemastership. It will include yard management and organisation.
The module will develop the knowledge that underpins the ability to take responsibility for the organization and management of an equine yard (including competition horses, commercial yards and private enterprise).
It will achieve this by considering the following areas
- Yard design, yard routines, yard maintenance
- The horse in sickness and in health, specific injuries in the competition horse
- Teeth and ageing, conformation, equine behaviour
- Transporting horses/stress and the care of the competition horse
- The use of specialist tack.
- Health and safety at work, risk assessment, legal aspects
|Application of Number
|Communication through writing and illustrations will be developed assessed through the assignment
|Improving own Learning and Performance
|Detailed feedback will be given on the course work which will allow the student to improve their subsequent work in other modules
|Personal Development and Career planning
|Developed by the assignment. Students are required to draw up a design for an equine yard.
|Students will be expected to demonstrate significant literature research skills in order to complete their course work.
|Subject Specific Skills
|A knowledge and understanding of Horsemastership and management
This module is at CQFW Level 5