|Delivery length / details
|20 x 2 Hour Seminars
|Assessment length / details
|Semester 1: 50% of final mark, to include * Assignment 1: 40% - Critical review of three case study reference sources relevant to subject area (1,000 words) * Assignment 2: 60% - Essay (1,500 words)
|Semester 2: 50% of final mark, to include * Assignment 3: 40% - Team written portfolio assignment (to a maximum of 1,000 words per team member), including a) written project proposal and oral presentation of proposal b) development of project material * Assignment 4: 60% - Team written portfolio assignment (to a maximum of 1,500 words per team member) including a) team written final report b) oral presentation
|Failed assignments must be retaken if the student's combined final mark falls below 40% (to a maximum of 5,000 words)
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
* Analyse and appropriately interpret the needs of a given writing and/or communications brief
* Display a critical awareness of the differences between academic and professional discourse
* Identify the relative values of reference materials from a wide range of published and media resources
* Evaluate the effectiveness of their own writing, communication and research strategies at all stages of the writing and/or communications process
* Target the needs of proposed research interests
* Work effectively in self managed teams
* Identify needs for drafting oral presentations from written documents
* Further develop skills in self reflexive assessment of the needs of a range of written and oral communication practices
In semester 2 the module develops upon the themes of semester 1 and expands into a significant teamwork project in developing, writing and producing socially or publicity oriented materials that reflect the student experience at Aberystwyth University. The materials created may include a variety of formats, which include YouTube videos, limited public content Facebook pages, printed materials, among others. The project will culminate in a series of presentations of project materials.
This module will be useful for:
- Second and third year students who need to further develop writing ability as a result of writing development needs identified from year 1;
- Second year entry students on internationally agreed 2+2 programmes;
- Second and third year students who need to develop an awareness and appreciation of finer nuances of written communication in academic and professional life;
- Students who wish to pursue the development of writing with a view to career plans that may involve significant professional writing responsibilities;
- To provide pathways to writing at higher levels of critical and self reflexive complexity for those intending to pursue postgraduate studies.
|Application of Number
|Structuring and sequencing in essays and reports.
|1) Groupwork within the module; 2) communicating ideas through sequence of graded tasks.
|Improving own Learning and Performance
|Through all seminars and tasks; written identification through reflective report.
|Use of computer network for researching essays, identifying case study material, planning and writing essays. Some tasks will be submitted through Blackboard.
|Personal Development and Career planning
|Consideration is given to the needs of professional communication through all tasks.
|Identifying writing topics, topic analysis, interpreting essay questions, creating writing task, essay and report structures, identifying strategies for learning.
|Independently proposing essay questions, researching subject matter related to tasks, essays/reports, identifying suitable case study material, reviewing material.
|Subject Specific Skills
|Rhetorical and linguistic analysis of subject specific text and tasks.
|Groupwork within module.
This module is at CQFW Level 6