|Delivery length / details
|5 x 1 Hour Tutorials
|11 x 2 Hour Lectures
|Assessment length / details
|Assignment 1 2500 words
|Assignment 2 2500 words
|Assignment 1 Repeat failed element
|Assignment 2 Repeat failed element
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
* Demonstrate an understanding of the nature and importance of research in a business and management or marketing context;
* Demonstrate an understanding of, and distinguish between, different research approaches and critically evaluate the ethical implications of each approach;
* Identify, analyse and evaluate literature relevant to a specific research topic;
* Perform both primary and secondary data collection, identify and evaluate the limitations and benefits of different approaches;
* Analyse and evaluate data using a variety of tools and techniques;
* Communicate the findings of a research project appropriately.
This module provides Business and Management students with an understanding of the importance of an objective approach to research and the importance of self-reflexive learning. The module also introduces Business and Management students to the practice of research, including ethics and methodology, utilizing both qualitative and quantitative research methods.
Introduction to Research Methods
Forming Research Questions and Generating Data
Literature Searching and Reviewing
Reading and Feedback week
Qualitative Research Design
Collecting and Analysing Qualitative Data
Quantitative Research Design
Collecting and Analysing Quantitative Data
Revision & Planning
|Application of Number
|Opportunities for use of quantitative techniques appropriate to the selected topic.
|Read and write in different contexts for different purposes and audiences.
|Improving own Learning and Performance
|Organizational and research skills; developing own learning styles, personal preferences and needs, how to learn independently.
|Accessing internet for appropriate reference material; use of information technology in data analysis, preparation and presentation of report.
|Personal Development and Career planning
|Self-management, initiative, independence and self-awareness.
|Identify problems and factors which might influence potential solutions; develop creative thinking approaches to problem solving. Evaluate advantages and disadvantages of potential solutions; construct a rational proposal in response to a problem.
|Obtaining, selecting, assimilating information from a variety of sources for preparing assignment.
|Subject Specific Skills
|Application of qualitative and quantitative skills to specific management scenarios and current business environment.
This module is at CQFW Level 6