|Assessment length / details
|Interactive Task (Munimum 1200 words)
|Presentation: Review and analyse a Farm Business Plan. Presentation recorded by student using free online software and submitted through Aber-dropbox.
|Develop a business plan for the farm (2,000 words).
|Students must take elements of assessment equivalent to those that led to the failure of the module.
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Evaluate the impacts of policy, economics and markets on farm businesses
2. Analyse a farm business plan
3. Critically assess risk and sensitivity as factors of a farm business management
4. Develop and revise a farm business plan
This module gives you the skills to analyse, carry out and revise farm business plans. It looks at all aspects of farm planning, from the accounts to the physical aspects which anyone dealing with farms should be aware of. You will learn how to develop a robust and logical plan and will create a plan of your own. Because the module requires knowledge of Microsoft Excel, a prerequisite to this module will be the successful completion of an Excel test given during registration. To help students with limited experience of Excel spreadsheets, the module also contains a short online course on using Excel.
1. Objectives and decision making
2. Integration - policy, economics, markets and the business
3. Business structures
4. Business analysis
5. Risk and Uncertainty
7. Robustness, resilience and sensitivity analysis
8. Dealing with private and personal aspects of a business
9. Drawing up and presenting business plans - methods and practicalities
10. Revising business plans
- Case report- external factors impacting on farm businesses (500)
- Forum posts: students will be encouraged to post at least once in each forum and to reply at least once to another student's post (200 words per post)
|Application of Number
|The students need to be able to complete a series of tasks in Excel e.g. create an online accounts workbook and budget workbook. The students need to complete these formative workbooks to a satisfactory level to release the course content.
|Students will be expected to be able to express themselves appropriately in their assignments.
|Improving own Learning and Performance
|Detailed feedback will be given for assignment work. This will be assessed through the feedback providing general guidance towards the student's next assignment. Feedback will be given on all formative assignments to help students with their future summative assignments.
|Students will be required to source information from a variety of scientific publication data bases and to use Blackboard for all aspects of the module.
|Personal Development and Career planning
|This module will provide the students with the latest research into farm business management to help them provide the most up-to-date information/advice to their colleagues/clients in the agri-food industry.
|Online forum posts will be used to help develop and improve students' problem solving skills, through use of questions that present theoretical problems for the students to solve.
|Students will be required to undergo directed self-study and so will develop their literature research skills.
|Subject Specific Skills
|Farm business planning and management.
|Forums will require students to debate among themselves to develop a consensus of opinion.
This module is at CQFW Level 7