|Assessment length / details
|Module Assessment Written Assignment of 5,000 words
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Demonstrate an appreciation of the complexities that surround society's need for protection and the individual's right to treatment and liberty.
2. Identify and assess the main types of mental illness and the relative risk to others.
3. Critically evaluate the prospects for, and limitations of, treating the mentally ill.
4. Demonstrate an appreciation of the public and political attitudes to those with mental health issues and present critical argument on these issues.
5. Demonstrate an understanding of historical developments and analyse the cultural differences in the treatment of the mentally ill.
The module will provide an overview of mental health legislation and the methods used historically to contain and treat the mentally ill. Contrasting these developments with wider international perspectives on the issues surrounding those with mental health problems will provide a context to appreciate the need to protect society whilst also treating those with problem behaviours with respect and dignity.
- The Mental Health Acts.
- A history of the treatment of the mentally ill with a particular focus on the closure of the asylums/care in the community and also the criminalization of increasing numbers of individuals with mental health problems.
- The assessment and categorization of mental health and the development and evaluation of risk - focusing on whether assessment and/or treatment are for the benefit of the individual or society.
- Comprehensive discussion on issues relating to the human rights of the mentally ill, specifically, indefinite detention for public protection, forced treatment and medication, and social exclusion.
- A review of current practice, with an emphasis on the future agenda for dealing with the mentally ill, an assessment of initiatives overseas, and the role of the criminal justice system in dealing with vulnerable populations.
This module is at CQFW Level 7