|Delivery length / details
|4 x 1 Hour Workshops
|10 x 1 Hour Seminars
|10 x 2 Hour Lectures
|Assessment length / details
|Coursework: 2,000 words
|Brand Plan 3,000 words
|Coursework: 2,000 words Repeat failed element
|Brand plan 3,000 words Repeat failed element
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
* Articulate and criticaly evaluate the theory of branding and its application in marketing today;
* Analyse different brands and understand why some are more successful than others;
* Demonstrate knowledge of the role branding plays in marketing strategies and campaigns;
* Apply marketing principles to evaluate and discuss different brand strategies;
* Understand the importance of branding to consumers in their decision making processes;
* Critically Evaluate the brand personalities of major brands in the global marketplace and their role in the company's success;
* Demonstrate self learning, communications skills and analysis.
Branding is a key area of marketing today. As image becomes more and more important to us we need to understand the language of semiotics and how this affects consumer behaviour. Branding is the whole persona of an organization or offering and so is a broad subject area that any student aiming for a career in marketing needs to be familiar with. This elective module will allow students to integrate theory and practice of contemporary marketing, and develop a specialism that will enhance their employability.
The module covers theory and application of branding, with use of case studies, lectures and group work to analyse the brand identities and personalities of a variety of companies. Brand building is an important part of a marketing strategy as well as a marketing communications plan. Brand design, from logo to company identity is fundamental to brand building and will form an integral part of the module.
- Branding Theory
- Brand Personality
- Brand Identity
- Branding as part of marketing and corporate communication
- Customer perception of branding
- Brand strategy
- Online and V irtual branding
- Benefits of branding
- The role of branding
- Building the brand
- Brand design
|Application of Number
|Seminars will give the student verbal as well as presentation communication skills whereas the coursework will give valuable business oriented communication skills.
|Improving own Learning and Performance
|This will be obtained via the seminars coursework and interaction within lectures.
|Students will be expected to make appropriate use of word processing and presentational software in their coursework. Also they should make use of Blackboard and on-line research.
|Personal Development and Career planning
|The coursework requires students to focus on an applied corporate setting, and in developing their understanding of the research communication and analytical skills required in that context they will be able to make better-informed career choices and direct their personal development plans accordingly. However, neither skill is directly assessed.
|Students will gain problem solving skills as part of their brand plan coursework assessment and classroom exercises.
|The coursework will need a certain amount of market research which the student will undertake, gaining key research skills.
|Subject Specific Skills
|A deeper understanding and the ability to critically evaluate brands - which are a major part of business and marketing today.
|Classroom exercises and seminar work will improve teamwork skills for the students.
This module is at CQFW Level 6