Due to Covid-19 students should refer to the module Blackboard pages for assessment details
|Assessment length / details
|Essay (2,000 words)
|Essay (2,000 words)
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Decide if computational intelligence methods should be applied to solve a given problem and explain the advantages and drawbacks of the different approaches for the given problem.
2. Design evolutionary algorithms for a given application including the use of appropriate representation and operators.
3. Design a fuzzy system for a given application.
4. Design artificial neural networks for a given application including the choice of network and learning method.
5. Discuss limits of applicability of the different computational intelligence approaches.
Computational intelligence as an umbrella term encompasses artificial neural networks, fuzzy logic, and evolutionary computation. It describes the area of Artificial Intelligence that is concerned with sub-symbolic forms of artificial intelligence. All three areas are covered separately and studied in sufficient detail to allow students to decide about the applicability of the different approaches for given problems and apply appropriate methods for problem solving in different contexts.
Fuzzy logic and extensions: fuzzy sets; rough sets; fuzzy logic; fuzzy fuzzy inference; fuzzy relations; applications
Artificial neural networks: perceptron, layered networks, back propagation; convolution neural networks and deep learning; applications
|Application of Number
|Important aspect of Computational Intelligence, in particular fuzzy logic.
|Written communication is essential for the essay writing assignment.
|Improving own Learning and Performance
|Essential for the essay writing assignment.
|Inherent to Computer Science.
|Personal Development and Career planning
|Not explicit part of this module.
|Inherent to the subject of computational intelligence.
|Significant part of preparation for the essay writing assignment.
|Subject Specific Skills
|Inherent to the subject of the module.
|Team work is not part of this module.
This module is at CQFW Level 7