Due to Covid-19 students should refer to the module Blackboard pages for assessment details
|Assessment length / details
|2 Hours Unseen written examination
|Coursework 2,500 words
|Unseen written examination Repeat failed elements
|Coursework 2,500 words Repeat failed elements
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
* Articulate and critically evaluate the practice of marketing management and its application in marketing today.
* Analyse different aspects of marketing and understand management'r activities relation to them.
* Demonstrate knowledge of the role management plays in marketing strategies and campaigns.
* Apply marketing principles to evaluate and discuss different marketing strategies.
* Understand the importance of consumers and marketing communications in the management process.
* Understand the role of culture and marketing in the global marketplace and their role in relation to management activities.
* Demonstrate self-learning, communications skills and analysis.
The overall success of an organisation is dependent on the relationship established between Marketing Management and strategy. That is how Marketing is able to inform strategy and maintain an operational focus on market needs. This module is concerned with the manner in which the commercial focus of an organisation is informed and directed by Marketing Management.
The module covers theory and application of marketing management, with use of case studies, lectures and group work facilitate students' understanding of the manner in which the commercial focus of an organisation is informed and directed by Marketing Management.
- Define Marketing Management: The definition of a market-focused organisation. The identification of processes that contribute to market focus. These processes are the strategic development process and the operationalisation of marketing management.
- Models of Marketing Management: The frameworks and models used in analysis by marketing managers. This will include portfolios, the product life cycle, customer and competitor analysis.
- Brand Management: The management of brands through the application or marketing tools.
- Marketing Plans: The development of marketing plans through staged processes. The identification of benefits and difficulties in marketing planning.
- Marketing Performance: The measurement of marketing performance and marketing control at strategic and operational levels.
- Marketing Entrepreneurship: The development of entrepreneurial thinking, planning skills and understanding.
- Paradigm Shifts in Marketing: The changing conceptualizations and philosophical underpinnings of marketing activity.
|Application of Number
|Seminars will give the student verbal as well as presentation communication skills whereas the coursework will give valuable business oriented communication skills.
|Improving own Learning and Performance
|This will be obtained via the seminars, coursework and interaction within lectures.
|Students will be expected to make appropriate use of word processing and presentational software in their coursework. Also they should make use of blackboard and on-line research.
|Personal Development and Career planning
|The coursework requires students to focus on an applied marketing activity, and in developing their understanding of the research, communication and analytical skills required in that context they will be able to make better-informed career choices and direct their personal development plans accordingly. However, neither skill is directly assessed.
|Students will gain problem solving skills as part of their coursework assessment and classroom/tutorial exercises.
|The coursework and tutorials will need a certain amount of market research which the student will undertake, gaining key research skills.
|Subject Specific Skills
|A deeper understanding and the ability to critically evaluate management activities in relation to marketing – which are a major part of business today.
|Classroom exercises and seminar work will improve teamwork skills for the students.
This module is at CQFW Level 6