Due to Covid-19 students should refer to the module Blackboard pages for assessment details
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Written group work (2,000 words)||20%|
|Semester Assessment||Written review 1 (500 words)||20%|
|Semester Assessment||Written review 2 (500 words)||20%|
|Semester Exam||Written Essay (2,000 words)||30%|
|Semester Exam||Narrated Powerpoint Group Work (10 minutes presentation)||10%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Written Essay (2,000 words)||30%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Written review 2 (500 words)||20%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Written group work (2,000 words)||20%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Written review 1 (500 words)||20%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Narrated Powerpoint Group Work (10 minutes presentation)||10%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Explain a range of business functions.
2. Describe and discuss the difference between leadership and management.
3. Identify styles of leadership and management.
4. Analyse organisational structures and behavior.
5. Discuss the impact of technological advances in the role of management.
6. Discuss marketing practice and its role in organisations.
7. Discuss marketing problems by applying the principles of market segmentation, targeting and positioning.
8. Identify the basic principles of Marketing's '4Ps' and of their integration in a 'marketing mix' that determines the competitive positioning of a product.
This will include areas such as the techniques associated with the marketing mix, audience segmentation approaches, fundamental insights into consumer behaviour and use of frameworks such as SWOT and SMART whilst developing an appreciation of resource management, leadership and management, HR and operations.
The module aims to develop a students understanding amd familiarise students with the language of Management and Marketing.
Practical sessions will be used for students to develop ideas and groupwork which will be ultimately assessed by a group report and presentation.
Content will cover:
- Introduction to business structure (HR/Operations/Planning/Supply Chain or similar
- Examples of leadership and management (managing people, creating vision/mission)
- Understanding organisational structures and behavior and their responses to environmental stimuli
- Managing technological change and technology
- Marketing Fundamentals
- Principles of Marketing Management
- Marketing Mix
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||Analysis of company reports and other numerical data.|
|Communication||Develop communications skills including discussion and listening skills. Improve literacy skills by reading and writing about marketing.|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||Devise and apply realistic self-learning strategies, review and monitor overall performance, be aware of time management techniques.|
|Information Technology||Use a range of commonly used software packages. Present information and data. Use email /internet appropriately and effectively.|
|Personal Development and Career planning||Students will be able to use the skills learnt in this module to enhance their career opportunities. They will also be aware of the importance of organizing and managing sources of knowledge.|
|Problem solving||Identify problems. Identify factors which might influence potential solutions. Develop creative thinking approaches to problem solving. Evaluate advantages and disadvantages of potential solutions. Construct a rational proposal in response to problem.|
|Research skills||Carry out research into current thinking in the areas of marketing. Identify relevant source material and journal articles for assignments.|
|Subject Specific Skills||Students will be aware of the importance of organizing and managing sources of knowledge and keeping up to date with the latest developments in management and marketing.|
|Team work||Understand the concept of group dynamics, contribute effectively and participate in group discussions and group presentation.|
This module is at CQFW Level 3