Due to Covid-19 students should refer to the module Blackboard pages for assessment details
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Written Essay (Literature Review) (2,500 words)||50%|
|Semester Assessment||Written Essay (Research Methodology) (2,500 words)||50%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Written Essay (Research Methodology) (2,000 words) Students must take elements of the assessment that led to the failure of the module.||50%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Written Essay (Literature Review) (2,000 words) Students must take elements of the assessment that led to the failure of the module.||50%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the nature and importance of research in a business and management or marketing context.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of, and distinguish between, different research approaches and critically evaluate the ethical implications of each approach.
3. Identify, analyse and evaluate literature relevant to a specific research topic.
4. Demonstrate an understanding of ways to perform both primary and secondary data collection, identify and evaluate the limitations and benefits of different approaches.
5. Demonstrate an understanding of ways to analyse and evaluate data using a variety of tools and techniques.
6. Communicate the findings of a research project appropriately.
This module covers research skills and provides in-depth study of business-related research methods. The module emphasises the importance of an objective approach to research. The module also introduces the practice of research, including ethics and methodology, utilizing both qualitative and quantitative research methods.
• Forming Research Questions
• Research Tools for reviewing current literature
• Qualitative Research Design
• Quantitative Research Design
• Mixed Research Design
• Collecting and Analysing Qualitative Data
• Collecting and Analysing Quantitative Data
• Managerial Implications, Research Limitations and Ethical Considerations
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||Opportunities for use of quantitative techniques appropriate to the selected topic.|
|Communication||Read and write in different contexts for different purposes and audiences.|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||Organizational and research skills; developing own learning styles, personal preferences and needs, how to learn independently.|
|Information Technology||Accessing internet for appropriate reference material; use of information technology in data analysis, preparation and presentation of report.|
|Personal Development and Career planning|
|Problem solving||Identify problems and factors which might influence potential solutions; develop creative thinking approaches to problem solving. Evaluate advantages and disadvantages of potential solutions; construct a rational proposal in response to a problem.|
|Research skills||Obtaining, selecting, assimilating information from a variety of sources for preparing assignment.|
|Subject Specific Skills||Application of qualitative and/or quantitative skills to specific management scenarios and current business environment.|
|Team work||eminars/Lectures to include group exercises|
This module is at CQFW Level 5