Due to Covid-19 students should refer to the module Blackboard pages for assessment details
|Assessment length / details
|Presentation 1 (A 10 minute formal presentation in the class of the completed Proposal Form for the public exhibition The Winter Show or an independent exhibition in the Project Room)
|Presentation 2 (A 25 minute Powerpoint presentation presenting: 1) a summary of the documentation of Practice Project 1 installed in the Winter Show or the Project Room, 2) a summary of Research Project 1 - 1000 words on 2 self - selected creative practitioners working in any discipline and 3) Notebook 1 containing ALL the developmental material towards Practice Project 1 and Research Project 1)
|Presentation 1 (A 10 minute oral recording and presentation of the completed Proposal Form for an independent exhibition in the Project Room or off- site)
|Presentation 2 (A 25 minute oral recording and Powerpoint presentation presenting: 1) a summary of the documentation of Practice Project 1 installed in the Project Room, 2) a summary of Research Project 1 - 1000 words on 2 self - selected creative practitioners in any discipline and 3) Notebook 1 containing ALL the developmental material towards Practice Project 1 and Research Project 1)
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Learn to conduct an independent Research Project 1 – 2 self - selected creative practitioners working in any discipline via library, internet, gallery archives, gallery visits, studio visits etc.
2. Learn to present the Research Project 1 utilizing a range of presentation methods e.g. images, media clips, artifacts, and academic sources.
3. Learn to conceive, develop and document a Practice Project 1 – a self-directed, process – based, step by step interdisciplinary practice project.
4. Learn to present the Practice Project 1 (to the point of install and staging) utilizing a range of presentation methods e.g. images, media clips, drawings, maps, artifacts etc.
5. Learn to reflect on, evaluate, constructively critique and so understand Practice Project 1 in relation to Research Project 1, identifying similar attitudes, approaches, processes, techniques, career experiences and motivations.
6. Learn to articulate the research process, the creative process, exhibition proposal, installation and documentation of the exhibition via a range of means – Powerpoint presentation and notebook.
7. Learn to employ a wide range of professional skills when installing and staging Practice Project 1 in the site and situation specific public group exhibition or independent exhibition in the Project Room.
This interdisciplinary art practice and research module is the first in a series of 6 modules designed to give students the space, time and support to develop a self – selected and self- directed practice and research project which will draw on their unique skills, expertise and experiences across media and disciplines gained from their chosen module options from within the Creative Arts course. The module teaches and supports the student to engage with the step by step creative process; experimentation, research and reflection which is essential to creative practice in any discipline. The student is encouraged to focus their projects on a given contemporary idea/theme/topic and to plan, propose and stage their project in either an independent exhibition or a situation and site – specific public group exhibition.
Week 2 Topic/theme Lecture/seminar and Self - directed study/studio
Week 3 Workshop 1 and individual tutorials and Self - directed study/studio
Week 4 Workshop 2 and Self - directed study/studio
Week 5 workshop 3 and individual tutorials and Self - directed study/studio
Week 6 Reading Week
Week 7 workshop 4 and individual tutorials and Self - directed study/studio
Week 8 workshop 5 and Self - directed study/studio
Week 9 - Assignment 1- presentation of Proposal Form
Week 10 Exhibition and project group evaluation meeting and Self - directed study/studio
Week 11 Exhibition and project group evaluation meeting and Self - directed study/studio
|Application of Number
|Where appropriate students will engage with number in relation to developing their projects, their presentations, their research and their exhibition.
|This module encourages and includes weekly group communication in workshops, presentations and exhibition and project group evaluation meetings. It encourages and includes individual communication through individual presentations and individual tutorials.
|Improving own Learning and Performance
|This will take place continually throughout the suite of 6 modules, taught through lectures/ seminars, workshops, presentations and exhibition and project group evaluation meetings and individual tutorials.
|Practically in relation to completing Assessments 1& 2 Powerpoint presentations including video, audio and internet technology.
|Personal Development and Career planning
|Ongoing throughout the module through the development of 6 independent self – directed, process – based, step by step interdisciplinary practice, through the development of 6 independent self directed research project, through installing and staging an exhibition, through documenting the creative process and public exhibition and through presenting 12 times throughout the suite of modules.
|Creative approaches to problem solving include identifying personal/professional/creative strengths and weaknesses, project management, tailoring self-evaluation to a given specification and staging and installing a site and situation specific public group exhibition or independent exhibition.
|In preparation for the presentations for assignments 1 & 2 digital media will be used.
|Subject Specific Skills
|Students will gain specific knowledge of their practice and the context for their practice and how to stage and install a site specific public group exhibition or independent exhibition.
|A very strong emphasis on collaborative process and project development in workshops, when engaging critically with student presentations, providing informal oral and written feedback, working together to stage and install the public group exhibition.
This module is at CQFW Level 4