Due to Covid-19 students should refer to the module Blackboard pages for assessment details
|Assessment length / details
|Report (1500 words) An evaluation of the methods used by their library/information service for promoting the collection
|Essay (1,500 words)
At the end of this module students should be able to:
- appreciate the value of a written collection development policy and have an understanding of its structure and application;;
- have an awareness of the major bibliographical and reviewing sources and services for print and non-print materials;
- examine the concepts and procedures of collection evaluation and review and the potential outcomes;
- appreciate the methodology and issues of collection promotion;
- gain insight inot the conservation needs of different types of collections;#
- understand the fundamental principles of preservation.
* This module adopts a broad definition of the subject field, so that, while devoting time to the fundamental areas of collection development, and collection review and evaluation, it also covers topics such as the promotion of collection use, conservation and preservation and collection issues related to particular formats. Its overriding concern is the managmement of a collection of library materials (whether in one or a number of formats) and organisation of access to virtual collections in an effective, efficient and economical way, in order to meet the needs of its user community. The module does not limit itself to any particular type of library, although the emphasis is on academicc and public libraries.
This module is at CQFW Level 6