Due to Covid-19 students should refer to the module Blackboard pages for assessment details
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
- Demonstrate a range of bibliographic and computing skills
- Demonstrate skills in a range of dissemination strategies, including writing, oral presentation, internet usage, media usage
- Work as part of a team
- Show an appreciation of the issues involved in managing a long-term research project
This module will form an integral part of a suite of RT masters courses being developed across the University. Through this module Masters and PhD students will gain a broad knowledge of a range of transferable skills which they can apply in a variety of research contexts.
This module aims to give research students a broad knowledge of a range of transferable skills that they can apply in a variety of research interests. In particular, it will develop the ability of students to undertake independent research projects. To this end, students will be required to submit independent work, which is linked to their own particular research topic, and their ability to formulate independent research projects will be assessed. The module will also cover personal development. Students will be given skills in networking, teaching skills and presentation skills. The module also contains IT skills, both for general career development and in an applied research context.
The following themes are covered:
* Research management - for example time management, stress management, supervisor skills, reference management
* Communication Skills - for example writing skills, conference skills, public engagement, talking to the media, what editors want
* Research Skills and Techniques -for example using archives, literature reviews, critical thinking / analysis, blogs
* After your PhD - for example networking, funding, Continuing Professional Development, Transferable skills, planning your career progression
This module is at CQFW Level 7