|Assessment length / details
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
Identify the challenges we face regarding agriculture and food production and the potential of CEA to meet some of these
Demonstrate an understanding of the challenges and opportunities regarding the implementation of CEA technology.
Controlled Environment Agriculture (CEA) is a technology-based approach to food production, allowing growers/food producers and agri-tech businesses to optimise growing conditions and resource usage. CEA has the potential to increase business resilience and food security in the face of factors such as climate change and land availability. This module introduces students to the challenges faced by agriculture and food production and looks at the solutions CEA can provide. The the challenges and opportunities of setting up CEA systems are explored and a virtual field trip provides students with a real world example of how CEA can function.
• Summarise the range of CEA technologies.
• Outline the challenges and opportunities regarding the implementation of CEA technology.
• Explore the reasons for using key technologies to maintain appropriate environmental conditions for plant growth.
• Look at opportunities and challenges for the use of advanced technologies, including automation, in CEA.
- Why we might want to develop Controlled Environment Agriculture
- The challenges of CEA
- Overview of existing CEA systems via a virtual field trip
Learning will be tested with formative quizzes and by a summative masters level quiz at the end of the module
|Creative Problem Solving
|The MCQ exam will pose questions that present theoretical problems for the students to solve.
|Critical and analytical thinking
|Students will be expected to synthesise complex information
|Students will be required to examine and synthesize quantitative data from a range of publications and databases to develop answers for their MCQ exam
|Real world sense
|This module will provide the students with and introduction to controlled environment agriculture and associated technologies; they will be assessed on their understanding of this information.
|Subject Specific Skills
|Types, benefits and challenges of CEA. Appraisal and evaluation of the different methods.
This module is at CQFW Level 7