|Assessment length / details
|Essay (3,000 words)
|Essay (3,000 words)
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Demonstrate a critical understanding of the key principles of social and emotional development and the impact on learning
2. Understand the link between social and emotional wellbeing and mental health in early childhood
3. Identify key indicators of social and emotional development and use them to support children’s future learning, mental health and wellbeing.
Children’s social and emotional development impacts upon their learning. A sense of identity, belonging and confidence are the key indicators in developing happy and healthy learners. Early years’ practitioners need to be able to support children’s social and emotional learning and implement pedagogical methods to build on children’s strengths and interests. This module will demonstrate the importance of social and emotional development on learning and how practitioners can build methods of support into their practices.
1. Supporting physical, cognitive, social and emotional development I
2. Supporting physical, cognitive, social and emotional development II
3. Mental Health
4. Milestones, risk factors and strategies
5. Assessing social and emotional development
6. Effective collection of data
7. Monitoring and evaluating provision
8. Positive relationships
9. The environment
|Application of Number
|Occasional descriptive statistics in lectures and sources.
|Communication techniques are a vital element throughout lectures and seminars. Spoken communication throughout seminar activities. Written communication throughout written assessments.
|Improving own Learning and Performance
|Feedback from the written assignment and personal reflection during seminar tasks
|Written assignments will be word-processed and students will be using ICT to research
|Personal Development and Career planning
|Students will be encouraged to reflect upon and evaluate their skills
|An essential element in the process of critical assessment
|Research is required for the main assessments and will be for the seminar tasks.
|Subject Specific Skills
|Students will be challenged and encouraged to develop a range of professional skills
|Team work, in form of key professional behaviors and interdisciplinary working procedures, will be an important skill that will be developed throughout
This module is at CQFW Level 6