|Assessment length / details
|WRITTEN ASSIGNMENT OF 6,000 WORDS
|VISUAL AND WRITTEN PRESENTATION
|WRITTEN ASSIGNMENT OF 6,000 WORDS TO BE SUBMITTED, IF FAILED
|VISUAL AND WRITTEN PRESENTATION TO BE DELIVERED, IF FAILED
On completion of this module, students should be able to:
1. Outline the historical background and context of the development of international environmental law, the underlying principles and be critically aware of the role and interrelationship between science, law and politics in this process.
2. Show a critical appreciation the international governance and regulatory environment within which principles and rules are developed, implemented and enforced.
3. Consider the nature and effectiveness environmental law principles, and in in reconciling developmental, social and environmental objectives.
4. Critically evaluate the effectiveness of the governance, implementation and enforcement of international environmental law.
5. Develop an understanding of the interrelationship between environmental law protection and the international economic system, especially trade and investment.
6. Have a detailed understanding of key international environmental law and policy regimes
7. Access the relevant literature and materials in this field and use them to engage in a critical discussion of the subject both orally and in writing
1. Background and Historical Context: the development of International environmental law and policy
2. International Environmental Principles (1)
3. International Environmental Principles (2)
4. International Environmental Law-Making- Institutions structures and governance
5. Implementation and Enforcement of International Environmental Law- states, public institutions and private persons
6. Case Study of implementation (mechanisms and processes at international and national levels)
7. International Environmental Law and Trade
8. International Environmental Law and Investment
9. Protecting the Global Commons
10. Regulation of Hazardous Products- transboundary wastes, chemicals pesticides
|Application of Number
|Assignment and oral presentation; participation with online discussion group
|Improving own Learning and Performance
|Studying the material and writing the assignment
|Module requires the use of IT as a core resource for locating legal material
|Personal Development and Career planning
|Gaining confidence in legal thinking and analysis
|Assignment and oral presentation
|The module seeks to further develop practical legal skills and a theoretical engagement with environmental law and policy
|Subject Specific Skills
|Apply generic skills to specific subjects of the theme through the assignment
|Online discussion group
This module is at CQFW Level 7