|Assessment length / details
|Written Assignment: 30 hours
|2 Hours Written Exam
|Written Assignment: Resubmission of failed/nonsubmitted coursework components or ones of equivalent value.
|2 Hours Written Exam
1. Write simple programs to solve problems using an AI technique discussed in the module.
2. Demonstrate an understanding of the search techniques discussed in this module.
3. Demonstrate an understanding of evolutionary algorithms and swarms.
4. Describe the importance of propositional and predicate logic in Artificial Intelligence systems and solve simple problems.
5. Apply data mining algorithms to data and interpret the results.
6. Explain the function and use of fuzzy logic.
This module begins with a motivational section on the foundations of AI and philosophical/ethical considerations. The key concept of knowledge representation is introduced, followed by a variety of representational techniques including logic and fuzzy logic. Data mining follows this. It then focuses on the foundational issue of search (finding solutions to problems and games), naturally followed by evolutionary algorithms, optimisation and swarms.
What is required to get computers to produce AI? Philosophical debate and ethical issues. Applications of AI such as games, bioinformatics, business, robotics.
2. Knowledge Representation and Logic
Symbolic and sub-symbolic representations, logical representation for problem solving.
3. Fuzzy Logic
Fuzzy sets and rules. Fuzzy inference.
4. Data Mining
Overview of data mining. KNN classification. K-means clustering. Hierarchical clustering.
Searching for solutions using both uninformed and heuristic search.
6. Optimisation with Evolutionary Algorithms and Swarms
Evolutionary algorithms, selection mechanisms, variation operators. Swarm intelligence.
7. AI in Research
|Application of Number
|Many AI techniques require number application.
|Written skills needed for the written assessment.
|Improving own Learning and Performance
|Written assignment requires self-motivated study and work.
|Inherent in the topic.
|Personal Development and Career planning
|Will feed into students' future career plans.
|Written assignment promotes and assesses this.
|Assessing AI techniques for use in the written assignments requires reading and researching other materials.
|Subject Specific Skills
This module is at CQFW Level 5