Due to Covid-19 students should refer to the module Blackboard pages for assessment details
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Project Based Assignment plus 5000- word report.||100%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Project Based Assignment plus 5000- word report.||100%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Demonstrate a detailed fundamental and practical knowledge of web development, including the use of Content Management Systems, HTML, and databases.
2. Evaluate the web architecture and demonstrate an understanding of the distinction between client and server-side processing.
3. Analyse requirements to design effective and appropriate web solutions which meet web standards for presentation and accessibility.
4. Construct simple web pages using a content management system and by writing HTML and controlling presentation using CSS.
5. Design, evaluate, set up and interrogate persistent datastores.
6. Communicate web design principals to non-technical and technical audiences.
This module introduces the core technologies and architectures of the web, including communications, the structure and presentation of content, and the basics of databases for web applications.
Fundamental web concepts
Designing web pages
Developing websites: tools, scripting, and markup languages
Databases for the web
Standards and best practice
The future of the web
The module will deliver the content through a series of recorded lectures and supporting materials. The students will be given a reading list of 'essential' and 'recommended' articles and books. They will be expected to interact through forums with other students and the course tutor. The module will contain assessments which will encourage students to apply the advanced media production techniques they learn in the module to real-world scenarios.
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||Programming applies mathematics to solve problems.|
|Communication||The web is a communication medium; many features for effective communication are covered in the module and good application of them will be emphasized.|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||Detailed feedback will be given for assignment work. This will be assessed through the feedback providing general guidance towards the student's next assignment.|
|Information Technology||The module will cover fundamental concepts in web development.|
|Personal Development and Career planning||Working in the context of solving real-world problems gives students practical skills for their career.|
|Problem solving||Many aspects of web functionality can be provided in more than one way or are intrinsically complex to develop - students will need to use problem solving to develop effective solutions.|
|Research skills||The students will need to search for and use relevant technical information while completing practical and assessed work.|
|Subject Specific Skills||Students will develop detailed knowledge of client-side internet technologies and have an appreciation of modern tools.|
|Team work||Participation in the forum discussing technologies.|
This module is at CQFW Level 7