|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Exam||2 Hours (Written Examination)||100%|
|Supplementary Exam||2 Hours (Written Examination)||100%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. determine complex potential functions of incompressible irrotational fluid flows;
2. calculate image systems of simple hydrodynamic structures;
3. use a conformal map to determine the flow around a body in a stream;
4. establish Blasius's equation and apply it to the flow past various shapes, including aerofoils.
This module continues the development of fluid mechanics, begun in MA25610, and deals in particular with the theory of two-dimensional motion and aerofoil theory.
To continue with the development of fluid mechanics, in particular the theory of two-dimensional motion and aerofoil theory, and to relate it to many natural and everyday events, for example: why an aeroplane in flight is able to defy gravity.
2. Conformal transformations; Joukowski transformation; Schwarz-Christoffel transformation.
3. Blasius's theorems for the force and moment on a body in a stream.
4. Applications to aerofoil theory.
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Adaptability and resilience||Students are expected to develop their own approach to time-management and to use the feedback from marked work to support their learning.|
|Co-ordinating with others||Students will be encouraged to work in groups to solve problems.|
|Creative Problem Solving||The assignments will give the students opportunities to show creativity in finding solutions and develop their problem solving skills.|
|Digital capability||Use of the internet, Blackboard, and mathematical packages will be encouraged to enhance their understanding of the module content and examples of application|
|Professional communication||Students will be expected to submit clearly written solutions to set exercises.|
|Subject Specific Skills||Broadens exposure of students to topics in mathematics, and an area of application that they have not previously encountered.|
This module is at CQFW Level 6