Due to Covid-19 students should refer to the module Blackboard pages for assessment details
|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||In-class, 3 x on-line tests with multiple choice questions (40 minutes each test)||100%|
|Supplementary Exam||2 Hours Supplementary Exam||100%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Examine how human communication has evolved into today's global networks and the information superhighway.
2. Compare the brain, the mind and consciousness to complex artificial entities and networks.
3. Examine the developments in materials, hardware and information sciences needed to make the above possible in the modern era.
4. Examine the mechanisms required for the transmission of audio and visual information.
5. Compare and contrast the differences between humans and robots.
This module reviews the factors responsible for the recent global information explosion, funnelled through the world wide communications network, and includes an introduction to planning and the business environment. Against this backcloth the new science of Chaos is finding applications: from understanding the spread of disease, to modelling the dynamics of the Stock Market and replicating the topology of the snow flake. Communication and Chaos are the twin driving forces of intelligent life where they are finding a new foothold in meeting the challenge of putting consciousness into the arena. Much is known about the electricity in the mind but practically nothing about how this supports awareness and personal identity.
History of Telecommunications
Telegraphy and Telephony
Radio and digital signals
What is Chaos?
Examples of Chaos
Dynamics and Stability
What is consciousness?
Enabling technology for a scientific description of consciousness
Sceintific revolutions affecting human consciousness
Geography of the human brain
Psychology or information transfer?
Introductory skills for using the Internet and other electronic sources of information.
This module is at CQFW Level 4