|Assessment length / details
|Group presentation (15 min Presentation followed by questions)
|Individual Report 4000 Words
|Individual Report 4000 Words
|Individual Report 1000 Words
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
examine and critically evaluate the development and ubiquity of traditional organisational theories
critically evaluate and explore the development and ubiquity of key management theories
explore the competing underlying assumptions underpinning management and organisational research
enhance positive organisational leadership competences and qualities
evaluate the importance of emotional intelligence as a key element of leadership, and identify the management tools that might be deployed to address cultural challenges in leadership in an international context.
examine the cross-cultural dimension of management
This module critically evaluates the people dimension of organisations. It explores key theories, models and concepts that constitute the study of human behaviours and agency in organisations. It explores the dynamic of power and politics in organisations and, in particular, the role that leadership plays in aligning often competing organisational forces.
02. To encourage and develop a reflective and reflexive approach to studying organisations and management
03. To develop organisational diagnostic skills
04. To identify, promote and develop positive leadership competences
02. Introduction to key management theories.
03. Differentiating Management and Leadership.
04. Exploring competing forces and dynamics in organisations.
05. The nature of control, commitment & motivation.
06. Exploring underlying assumptions about organisations and how to study them.
07. Organizational culture, organisational learning, and networks.
08. Leading successful organisational change.
09. Emotional intelligence, resilience and reflective practice
10. Creativity and innovation.
11. Cross-cultural management.
|Application of Number
|Must provide a high quality report and deliver a sound and well developed presentation of the key issues relating to the assignment.
|Improving own Learning and Performance
|The students are required to adapt their strategies and approaches to providing solutions to given people based issues and to identify the leadership skills to provide an effective solution to the issues identified.
|Students are expected to use a range of digital presentation and work processing packages.
|Personal Development and Career planning
|Students will be encouraged to share constructive structured feedback to encourage self reflection and personal effectiveness.
|Participants will be expected to apply diagnostic models and tools to organisational (case study) problems, as well as to their own organisational experience
|The module enables students to develop creative thinking approaches to solving organisational problems. These skills will have to be applied in workshop discussions, preparation of the coursework and assessments.
|Subject Specific Skills
|Must demonstrate reflective and reflexive awareness of the nature of management and the dynamics of organisational life.
|The students are required to demonstrate commitment, sensitivity and empathy in undertaking in-class management activities.
This module is at CQFW Level 7