|Assessment Type||Assessment length / details||Proportion|
|Semester Assessment||Dissertation (12000 words) in target language||85%|
|Semester Assessment||Research Proposal (ca 1500 words plus bibliography) and oral presentation (15 minutes) in front of all students of the module.||15%|
|Supplementary Assessment||Resubmit failed elements and/or make good any missing elements||100%|
On successful completion of this module students should be able to:
1. Demonstrate ability to use a range of relevant research methods and techniques
2. Be able to organize their research within the given frameworks (time management, structuring)
3. Formulate a research question that is of appropriate scope and depth for this dissertation
4. Critically read scholarship in their field of study, both in English or Welsh and in the target language.
5. Structure arguments in a coherent and convincing manner; show an awareness of key issues
6. Write a dissertation in compliance with the formal requirements of the discipline, including referencing and bibliography.
Analytical and linguistic skills will be developed together. Unlike EL30120 (Dissertation), the SH dissertation will be written in the target language.
Internet research skills will be an essential part of the students' work
The dissertation will be on a topic chosen by the student, arising from modules taken previously or being taken concurrently, from their year abroad experience, or from their own initiative. Topics are chosen in collaboration with the module convenor and the individual supervisor.
This module offers final year single honours students an opportunity to study a specific topic related to their target language in greater detail. It equips students with a knowledge of research methods, research and presentation skills, both oral and written, necessary for the completion of their dissertations. It also allows students to showcase their ability to work independently.
- before week 2 of teaching: contacting potential supervisor and module convenor with possible topic
- before week 5: agreement on the topic
- last week of teaching December: submission of research proposal and scheduling of presentations for all students on the module
- submission: week before summer exam period.
|Skills Type||Skills details|
|Application of Number||Possibility of statistical analysis.|
|Communication||Development of clear and accurate expression, in writing and in speaking.|
|Improving own Learning and Performance||The Dissertation is, by definition, a very independent work, in which the supervisor plays only a consultative role.|
|Information Technology||Students have to find on-line source texts and secondary literature. For some topics, use of statistical methods and appropriate tools (such as Excel) might be necessary.|
|Personal Development and Career planning||Ability to work independently, identifying research questions, developing them in written form; recognizing and overcoming difficulties in the research and writing process.|
|Problem solving||Students have to formulate their research question/s, in collaboration with their supervisor; they have to locate primary and secondary literature, identify and overcome difficulties in the research and writing process (access to documents, sensitive topics, etc.).|
|Research skills||Yes - students have to do independent research in preparation for their essays, including identifying and locating source documents and secondary literature.|
|Subject Specific Skills||Yes - students have to do independent research in preparation for their essays, including identifying and locating source documents and secondary literature.|
This module is at CQFW Level 6