Food and Drink

Any food or drink preparation intended for consumption must adhere to applicable food hygiene legislation. This will include consideration of training, food preparation, handling and storage arrangements.


Food and drink must not be consumed in university teaching rooms, workstation rooms (other than designated 'Cyber Cafés'), laboratories, workshops, stairwells or other areas that may present a risk to the consumer, others in the vicinity (e.g. slip hazard if spilled) or damage to equipment.

Preparation of Food

In general, preparation of food for consumption by others as part of a University activity must comply with food hygiene legislation. Those undertaking food preparation must have the appropriate level of food hygiene certification and follow appropriate hygiene techniques such as Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point systems.

Examples of relevant University activities are: Open Days; Sports Events; Refreshments at a meeting of a Society; Fieldtrips; Departmental Meetings; Conferences; Food and drink retail outlets such as cafes.


I want to sell some cakes for charity. Can I do this or am I not allowed?

You can make cakes to sell occasionally for charity so long as the person preparing them follows Food Standards Agency advice. You should however make sure you avoid using risky food groups such as raw eggs and avoid cream/cheesecakes if you have nowhere to keep the cakes cool whilst you are selling.

You should also make a notice along the lines of “These items may contain eggs and nuts” for clear display on the table

Part of the FSA guidance:

Home-made cakes should be safe to eat, as long as the people who make them observe good food hygiene, and the cakes are stored and transported safely.

At home, people making cakes should follow these tips:

  • Always wash your hands before preparing food.
  • Make sure that surfaces, bowls, utensils, etc. are clean.
  • Don't use raw eggs in anything that won't be thoroughly cooked, such as icing or mousse.
  • Keep cheesecakes and any cakes or desserts containing cream or butter icing in the fridge.
  • Store cakes in a clean, sealable container, away from raw foods, especially raw meat.

On the day, people bringing in cakes from home or running the stall should follow these tips:

  • Transport cakes in a clean, sealable container.

Avoid handling cakes – use tongs or a cake slice instead.

I want to hold a BBQ for staff, families and students as a university-related social event. What do I need to do?

As you will be cooking and supplying food you need to follow the food hygiene regulations. This includes ensuring that the food is kept under conditions that meet the Hazard Analysis of Critical Control Points (HACCP) - you may also have heard as this as Self-Assured Catering.

You need to do a Risk Assessment that covers food hygiene, fire precautions and any other significant hazards that your event may have. Suitable control measures will need to be documented and applied, including emergency arrangements.

The location of the BBQ will need to have the approval of Campus Services (or Sports Centre if on their land).

If all this sounds like too much bother, you can always contact the Conference Office and they may be able to take over the catering for you and make sure that your food is safe to eat. Alternatively, if you are a student association of the Students’ Union, they will be able to give advice.

Further Information

Food poisoning can be very dangerous. Please see these news items about E.coli infections caused by incorrect storing and cooking of food: