Handling heavy or awkwardly-shaped objects has the risk of causing injury, especially to your back. Use mechanical lifting aids wherever possible, or get help from someone else.
The departmental risk assessment for your job will identify aspects that may involve manual handling and will seek to eliminate or control such aspects.
If your job does entail manual handling operations you must receive training in the technique - contact your Manager or Supervisor.
The 'MAC' Tool:
- 'Manual Handling Assessment Chart (MAC) ToolManual Handling Assessment Chart (MAC) Tool' (.pdf)
- Interactive MAC Tool
Guidance and Further Information:
- 'Manual Handling at Work: A Brief Guide' (.pdf)
- 'Manual Handling at Work: A Brief Guide (Cymraeg)' (.pdf)
- 'Manual Handling: Manual Handling Operations Regulations, 1992 (as ammended)' (.pdf)
- HSE Lifting Guides
The HS&E Department can offer Manual Handling training. To register your interest, please contact email@example.com or see the training pages.
- Move IT (Interactive manual handling course - Birkbeck College. Requires 'Flash')
Health, Safety & Environment Team, Aberystwyth University, Estates Department, Penglais Road, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DU United Kingdom
Tel: 622169 / 622073 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org