Hugh Owen Library
The Hugh Owen Library is the main University Library and the centre of administration for Information Services. Based on Penglais campus [location], it provides a space to study, whether you wish to study quietly on your own or with others. A range of facilities are provided both to help you with your studies and for quiet relaxation.
Our opening hours are available here
Please note that:
- You need your Aber Card to swipe in AND out of the Hugh Owen Library after 9pm or after 6pm during weekend exam times.
- Level F closes 30 minutes before the advertised library closing time.
- Level E closes 15 minutes before the advertised library closing time.
The Hugh Owen Library's collections cover the humanities, social sciences, law, biological and earth sciences and include:
- Contemporary fiction
- Diplomatic Documents
- Effective Study
- Life skills
- Official Publications
- Rare books
- Statistical publications
- Short Loan
Information on borrowing from the library's collections can be found on this page.
Law and Criminology
Law and criminology books, journals, statutes and law reports previously located in the Law Library and in the main Hugh Owen Library, were moved to a new location within the Thomas Parry Library on 16 September 2013. Enquiries about the Law Library to Lillian Stevenson, Law Librarian, firstname.lastname@example.org (01970 62) 1514
Management and Business
Management and Business books and journals previously located in the Hugh Owen Library, were moved to a new location within the Thomas Parry Library on 16 September 2013.
- Hugh Owen Library - Level D Floor Plan
- Hugh Owen Library - Level E Floor Plan
- Hugh Owen Group Study Area Level E
- Hugh Owen Library - Level F Floor Plan
- Coloured overlays
- Change machine
- Computers (AU only)
- Desk lamps for use in the library can be requested from the Enquiry Desk
- Drinking water fountain (Levels E and F)
- DVD/Video viewing facilities
- FAX service
- Group study area
- Help and support
- Individual and group study rooms
- Lost property
- Newspapers - national and regional newspapers
- Portable Induction Loop
- Print credit loader
- Printing, photocopying and scanning
- Sales of consumables
- Self issue machines (on levels D and E)
- Self return machine (on level D)
- Self service comb binding
- Silent study areas
- Vending and hot drinks machines (Level E)
- There is an accessible entrance/exit to the library on Level E for wheelchair users or users with mobility issues. Please contact Student Support Services to arrange access via your Aber Card as required.
- A lift is available for access to other floors for users with mobility issues, and is located adjacent to the Enquiry Desk. Please ask at the Enquiry Desk for assistance.
- Disabled toilet facilities are located on Level E.
- Induction loops are available at the Enquiry desks.
- Coloured overlays and magnifiers are available to borrow from the Enquiry Desk
- There is a dedicated Green Card area on level E, with lockers available
- There is a Green Card Carrel
- We can arrange to fetch and deliver reading or other materials within the Library, ready for collection or personal study.
- The Fire Alarms are both the Klaxon and bell types and it is essential that the lift should not be used when the fire alarm is in operation.
- Please contact Student Support Services and Health, Safety and Environment Office to arrange a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP) for the Library if relevant.
If you would like a guided tour of the facilities, or to discuss any specific requirements you have, please contact us.