Hugh Owen Library
The Hugh Owen Library is the main University Library and the centre of administration for Information Services. Based on Penglais campus, it provides a space to study, whether you wish to study quietly on your own or with others. A range of facilities are provided both to help you with your studies and for quiet relaxation.
See a virtual tour of the Hugh Owen Library
Christmas Vacation opening hours and loans 2013-14
Information Services wishes everyone an enjoyable break.
- Sat 14 December 2013 – last day of term. Hugh Owen and Thomas Parry libraries open 10am-6pm
- Sun 15 December 2013 – libraries closed
- Mon 16 December – Fri 20 December 2013 – holiday opening hours IS
- Sat/Sun 21/22 December 2013 – libraries closed
- Mon 23 December 2013 - holiday opening hours IS (last day before holidays – early closing: Hugh Owen and Thomas Parry libraries close at 4:30pm and Physical Sciences Library closes at 2:30pm)
- Tues 24 December 2013 – Wed 1 January 2014 – University closed
- Thurs 2 January 2014 – University and IS re-opens (holiday opening hours IS)
- Fri 3 January 2014– holiday opening hours IS
- Sat/Sun 4/5 January 2014 – extended opening times Hugh Owen and Thomas Parry libraries
- Mon 6 January 2014 – termtime opening hours start
- Standard Loan: From Monday, 9 December 2013 until Monday, 6 January 2014
- Three Day Loan: From Monday, 9 December 2013 until Monday, 6 January 2014
- Short Loan: usual loan periods apply.
Extended weekend opening hours in the Hugh Owen and Thomas Parry libraries during Semester 1 exam period 2014
During the weekends of 4/5 January and 11/12 January 2014 the Hugh Owen and Thomas Parry Libraries will extend their opening hours an additional 2 hours to be open 10am-8pm on the Saturday and the Sunday.
|Monday - Thursday 08:30 - midnight*|
|Saturday and Sunday 10:00-18:00*|
|Monday - Friday 08:30-17:30*|
Please note there are no staffed services from 21:00 onwards during term times.
*The Hugh Owen Library will start to close down 30 minutes before advertised closing time, starting with Level F.
There are no staffed services during Staff Training Hour between 9.00-10.00 on Wednesdays throughout the year.
The Hugh Owen Library's collections cover the humanities, social sciences, law, biological and earth sciences and include:
- Contemporary fiction
- Diplomatic Documents
- Effective Study
- Life skills
- Official Publications
- Quick reference
- Rare books
- Statistical publications
- Short Loan
Information on borrowing from the library's collections can be found on this page
Law and Criminology
Law and criminology books, journals, statutes and law reports previously located in the Law Library and in the main Hugh Owen Library, were moved to a new location within the Thomas Parry Library on 16 September 2013. Enquiries about the Law Library to Lillian Stevenson, Law Librarian, email@example.com (01970 62) 1514
Management and Business
Management and Business books and journals previously located in the Hugh Owen Library, were moved to a new location within the Thomas Parry Library on 16 September 2013.
- Hugh Owen Library - Level D Floor Plan
- Hugh Owen Library - Level E Floor Plan
- Hugh Owen Group Study Area Level E
- Hugh Owen Library - Level F Floor Plan
- Coloured overlays
- Change machine
- Computers (AU only)
- DVD/Video viewing facilities
- FAX service
- Group study areas
- Help and support
- Individual and group study rooms
- Lost property
- Newspapers - national and regional newspapers
- Portable Induction Loop
- Print credit loader
- Printing, photocopying and scanning
- Sales of consumables
- Self issue machines (on levels D and E)
- Self return machine (on level D)
- Self service comb binding
- Silent study areas
- Vending machine
- An outside bell is available for access to Level E of the library for wheelchair users or mobility/sensory impaired users.
- The use of a lift is available upon request for access to other floors for users with a physical impairment, and is located adjacent to the Enquiry Desk. Please ask at the Enquiry Desk for assistance.
- Disabled toilet facilities are located on Level E.
- Induction loops are available at the service desks.
- Coloured overlays and magnifiers are available to borrow from the enquiry desk
- There is a dedicated Green Card area on level E, with lockers available
- There is a Green Card Carrel
- We can arrange to fetch and deliver reading or other materials within the Library, ready for collection or personal study.
- The Fire Alarms are both the Klaxon and bell types and it is essential that the lift should not be used when the fire alarm is in operation. If you require a Personal Evacuation Plan please contact us.
If you would like a guided tour of the facilities, to discuss a Personal Evacuation Plan or any specific requirements you have please contact us.