Hugh Owen Library
The Hugh Owen Library is the main University Library and the centre of administration for Information Services. Based on Penglais campus [location], it provides a space to study, whether you wish to study quietly on your own or with others. A range of facilities are provided both to help you with your studies and for quiet relaxation.
Our opening hours are available here
Please note that:
- You need your Aber Card to swipe in AND out of the Hugh Owen Library betwen 9pm and 8am.
- Level F closes 30 minutes before the advertised library closing time.
- Level E closes 15 minutes before the advertised library closing time.
The Hugh Owen Library's collections cover the humanities, social sciences, biological and earth sciences and include:
- Contemporary fiction
- Diplomatic Documents
- Effective Study
- Life skills
- Official Publications
- Rare books
- Statistical publications
Information on borrowing from the library's collections can be found on this page.
- Hugh Owen Library - Level D Floor Plan
- Hugh Owen Library - Level E Floor Plan
- Hugh Owen Group Study Area Level E
- Hugh Owen Library - Level F Floor Plan
- Coloured overlays
- Change machine
- Computers (AU only)
- Desk lamps for use in the library can be requested from the Enquiry Desk
- Drinking water fountain (Levels E and F)
- DVD/Video viewing facilities
- FAX service
- Quiet group study area
- Help and support
- Individual and group study rooms
- Lost property
- Newspapers - national and regional newspapers
- Portable Induction Loop
- Print credit loader
- Printing, photocopying and scanning
- Sales of consumables
- Self issue machines (on levels D and E)
- Self return machine (on level D)
- Self service comb binding
- Silent study areas
- Vending and hot drinks machines (Level E)
- There is an accessible entrance/exit to the library on Level E for wheelchair users or users with mobility issues. Please contact Student Support Services to arrange access via your Aber Card as required.
- A lift is available for access to other floors for users with mobility issues, and is located adjacent to the Enquiry Desk. Please ask at the Enquiry Desk for assistance.
- Disabled toilet facilities are located on Level E.
- Induction loops are available at the Enquiry desks.
- Coloured overlays and magnifiers are available to borrow from the Enquiry Desk
- There is a dedicated Green Card area on level E, with lockers available
- There is a Green Card Carrel
- We can arrange to fetch and deliver reading or other materials within the Library, ready for collection or personal study.
- The Fire Alarms are both the Klaxon and bell types and it is essential that the lift should not be used when the fire alarm is in operation.
- Please contact Student Support Services and Health, Safety and Environment Office to arrange a Personal Emergency Evacuation Plan (PEEP) for the Library if relevant.
If you would like a guided tour of the facilities, or to discuss any specific requirements you have, please contact us.