Hugh Owen Library
The Hugh Owen Library is the main University Library and the centre of administration for Information Services. Based on Penglais campus, it provides a space to study, whether you wish to study quietly on your own or with others. A range of facilities are provided both to help you with your studies and for quiet relaxation.
See a virtual tour of the Hugh Owen Library
Extended weekend opening hours in the Hugh Owen Library during Semester 2 exam period
During the weekends of 11/12 May, 18/19 May and 25/26 May 2013 the Hugh Owen Library will extend its opening hours an additional 2 hours to be open 10am-8pm on the Saturday and the Sunday. In addition on Saturday 11 May the Hugh Owen Library will be open at 9am.
On Monday 6 and 27 May the Hugh Owen Library will be open from 08.30 - midnight.
|Monday - Thursday 08:30 - midnight*|
|Saturday and Sunday 10:00-18:00*|
|Monday - Friday 08:30-17:30*|
Please note there are no staffed services from 21:00 onwards during term times.
*The Hugh Owen Library will start to close down 30 minutes before advertised closing time, starting with Level F.
There are no staffed services during Staff Training Hour between 9.00-10.00 on Wednesdays throughout the year.
The Hugh Owen Library's collections cover the humanities, social sciences, law, biological and earth sciences and include:
- Contemporary fiction
- Diplomatic Documents
- Effective Study
- European Documentation Centre
- Life skills
- Official Publications
- Quick reference
- Rare books
- Statistical publications
- Short Loan
Information on borrowing from the library's collections can be found on this page
- Hugh Owen Library - Level D Floor Plan
- Hugh Owen Library - Level E Floor Plan
- Hugh Owen Library - Level F Floor Plan
- Hugh Owen Library - Law Library floorplan
- Coloured overlays
- Change machine
- Computers (AU only)
- DVD/Video viewing facilities
- Group study areas
- Help and support
- Individual and group study rooms
- Lost property
- Newspapers - national and regional newspapers
- Portable Induction Loop
- Print credit loader
- Printing and photocopying
- Sales of consumables
- Self issue machines (on levels D and E)
- Self return machine (on level D)
- Self service comb binding
- Silent study areas
- Vending machine
- An outside bell is available for access to Level E of the library for wheelchair users or mobility/sensory impaired users.
- The use of a lift is available upon request for access to other floors for users with a physical impairment, and is located adjacent to the Enquiry Desk. Please ask at the Enquiry Desk for assistance.
- Disabled toilet facilities are located on Level E.
- Induction loops are available at the service desks.
- Coloured overlays and magnifiers are available to borrow from the enquiry desk
- There is a dedicated Green Card area on level E, with lockers available
- There is a Green Card Carrel available in the Law Library
- We can arrange to fetch and deliver reading or other materials within the Library, ready for collection or personal study.
- The Fire Alarms are both the Klaxon and bell types and it is essential that the lift should not be used when the fire alarm is in operation. If you require a Personal Evacuation Plan please contact us.
If you would like a guided tour of the facilities, to discuss a Personal Evacuation Plan or any specific requirements you have please contact us.