Privacy statement for potential students
Marketing and Recruitment
Aberystwyth University is committed to protecting privacy. The University’s Marketing and Recruitment team seek to engage with potential students [and/or their parents/guardians] to enable them in the decision making process of choosing a university.
This statement shall act as a guide to how we record, safeguard and use private or personal information.
If you have any queries about this statement, please contact the email@example.com
For further information on the University’s data protection policy and guidance, together with the contact details of the University’s Data Protection and Copyright Manager, please see the link below:
How we collect information
The University collects personal information on potential/future students [and/or their parents/guardians] from numerous sources including:-
- Data cards collected at School Liaison events
- Open Day/ Online Open Day registrations
- Surveys (for example feedback survey after an Online Open Day)
- Campus Tour registrations
- UCAS fairs
- Prospectus Requests
- Scholarships applications
- What Uni prospectus requests
- Adhoc requests from enquiries stemming from marketing activities
The information we collect
The personal information we collect may include your name, date of birth, contact details including postal address, email address and mobile number and UCAS number. At times, we may also ask for your parents/guardians information allowing us to also contact them as part of our wider marketing plan.
How we use your information
- To support your application to the University
- To help us to improve our services and the pre applicant experience
- Provide you with any services you have requested
- Disseminate information regarding forthcoming events e.g. Open Days, Online Open Day, Live chat
- Provide information to help you make an informed choice of University
- Update you on course choices, degree options and departmental news, relevant to any stated preference
- Aid your scholarship application
- By providing your personal data in any of the above circumstances, you consent to the collection and use of this information in accordance with the purposes described in this privacy statement.
Your information, your choice
You can unsubscribe from emails at the footer of each communication or you can change your contact preferences at any time by contacting us emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or 01970 622065.
You also have rights with regard to the processing of your data and these are listed here; they include the right to withdraw consent to processing this data:
How we protect personal information
Your data is stored in a secure database, managed by the University according to the University’s data protection and security policies.
Our electronic communications programme and data collection portal is hosted by two external suppliers (Campus Management and Gecko Engage) under an agreement with the University and with appropriate security measures.
Disclosure to third parties
With the exception of our contract with Campus Management and Gecko Engage or if you are applying for an award which requires consultation with a third party, we never disclose your private information to a third party. Furthermore, we would never sell any of your personal information to any third parties.
How long do we keep data?
We take appropriate measures to ensure that the personal information disclosed to us is kept secure, and kept only for so long as is necessary for the purposes for which it is used and is thereafter securely destroyed or permanently deleted.
In providing your personal information, you consent for your data to be kept securely for a maximum of 6 years by the Marketing and Recruitment team of the University unless you decide to opt out earlier. Data may be expunged earlier than 6 years if you enter the University as a current student or opt to study elsewhere. Data on un-subscribers will be kept securely to ensure your communication preferences are respected.
Legal basis for holding and processing your data
As noted, the processing of your personal data in the manner described above will be undertaken on the basis of your consent being provided (as outlined under the General Data Protection Regulation (Art. 6 (1)(f).
Please note, some UCAS Applicant data will be processed due to entry into a pre-contractable period with the University prior to the commencement of your studies.
Updated April 2019