The Department of Modern Languages strives to provide innovative learning to our diverse range of students. In the department you will hear a range of languages, including French, German, Italian and Spanish.
We cater to all abilities and offer pathways from complete Beginners’ level or from Advanced (post A-Level or equivalent), so you can study languages even if you haven't had the chance to study a language at A-Level or equivalent.
What sets us apart?
As a student in our department, you will be taught by native speakers and experts in the respective languages, this will ensure maximum exposure to your choosen language during your time at Aberystwyth. As a department, we are confident we can support your passion for modern languages whilst equipping you for a bright future.
What sets us apart?
- 100% of our graduates are in work or further study 6 months after graduation, 85% of these at professional level, 38% more than Language graduates nationally (HESA 2017);
- The department is ranked 8th overall in the UK in the recent Guardian University Guide 2019;
- Fantastic NSS scores: 91% in the UK and first in Wales for student satisfaction (NSS 2017);
- Top 20 in the UK for Iberian studies (The Complete University Guide 2019);
- 6th in the UK for student satisfaction in the subject area of German (The Complete University Guide 2019);
- We work closely using the BlackBoard virtual learning environment meaning that information and materials are at your fingertips, at home and on your mobile phone;
- We know our students – we are a friendly department and lecturers are always available to talk to.
We offer outstanding facilities including:
- well-equipped language laboratories with computing and video recording equipment;
- a huge collection of audiovisual materials, with a sophisticated virtual learning environment;
- live television broadcasts from Europe or further afield;
- foreign language newspapers and magazines;
- active student union societies for each language;
- dedicated study spaces;
- computer assisted learning;
- Aberystwyth Arts Centre which regularly screens foreign films;
- The National Library of Wales that is a short walk from our department.
Many of our lecturers are research-active and also native speakers, giving you a first-class all round cultural and linguistic education. Our classes are small and foster a hands-on approach to learning through lectures, seminars and regular oral and listening classes with a wide range of audiovisual material. We go the extra mile to be an approachable department that facilitates all our students’ needs to help them exceed their goals and hone their talents.
We pride ourselves on the close-knit and diverse cosmopolitan community our students and staff bring to the department. The wide variety of module choices means our students remain stimulated throughout their studies and go from strength to strength. Chenay McKnight, a former student says: 'The variety of learning was what stood out to me when choosing Aberystwyth and is what has kept me motivated throughout my course. I visited many universities when I applied, but the friendliness of the staff at Aberystwyth was a huge part of my decision to come here. It felt like people had all the time in the world for me.' In the department of Modern Languages we are confident we can unlock your potential.
A Modern Languages degree at Aberystwyth gives you a significant advantage over other graduates for your future job prospects as you will undertake a study/work abroad year in your third year. If you are studying two or more languages, your time can be split equally between different countries. This gives you a great advantage after university because you will have gained independence in a different culture, acquired work experience and used your linguistic skills in the home of your chosen language. With 85% of our graduates entering work at professional level, 38% more than Language graduates nationally (HESA 2017), we are confident you will grow your expertise to start your prosperous future.
Many of our graduates start work at professional level, and keep growing after university. Having the talent of speaking two or more languages gives you a great edge over other graduates and can lead you into many industries including, translation, teaching and journalism.
Many of our graduates have gone onto successful jobs in many areas and different countries. For example, Rima Dapous is currently the Head of Education and Science at the British Council in Berlin, Germany and Joe Goldstone is working in marketing in New York. Join our department today and discover the abundance of opportunities on offer.
Why not visit us for an Open Day? This will give you a great opportunity to get a first-hand look at our welcoming cosmopolitan community in our stunning location. You will get a chance to talk to our lecturers and students while finding out more about the whole student experience on offer.