Your options to go abroad
If you're a Single Honours student (studying only one language), you can go to one country for the whole of your third year and your options are as follows:
- British Council English Language Assistant
- Studying in one of our partnered Universities
- Approved work placements
If you're a joint honours or major minor in two or more languages student, your third placement could be structured as follows:
- University placement in both
- Approved work palcement in one or both.
If you would like to go to the three countries, for the second semester of your second year and then the whole of your third year (3-language students), your options are:
- University placements in all three. If at all possible you should study the languages of the other two countires while in each placement.
British Council English Language Assistantship programme
The Assistantship programme organised by the British Council is a paid placement across primary and secondary schools in Europe. Your role will primarily be assisting with the teaching of English. This programme is excellent if you're looking to gain experience or even have a taste of teaching before you decide on your choosen career path.
Applications are made through your Year Abroad Coordinator (usually November- early December), and are administered by the British Council Language Assistants programme.
If you want to apply, you must get in touch with your Year Abroad Coordinator well in advanced (September the latest).Your Year Abroad Corodinator will set an internal deadline before the offical and final one, to make sure that your application meets the standards expected by the British Council.
Universities placements are arranged by Aberystwyth University with partner universities under the Erasmus + scheme. These european University exchanges run with the support of the Commission of the European Communities within the framework of the Lifelong Learning Programme- Erasmus + Programme. There are set numbers of students for each exchange. Scroll down to discover our partnered institutions and choose the right Univeristy for you. We do advise the students discuss their expression of interest with your Year Abroad Coordinator before making any official decisions.
Partner institutions in France:
- Institut Catholique de Toulouse
- Université de Bretagne Occidentale- Welsh language studies only.
- Université de Corse Pascal Paoli
- Université de Franche-Comte (Besancon)
- Université de La Rochelle
- Université de Nice Sophia Antipolis
- Université de Perpignan Via Domitia
- Université Michel de Montaigne Bordeaux 3
- Université Paris Sorbonne
- Université Paul-Valéry Montpellier
- Université Rennes 2
- Université de Nantes
Partner institutions in Germany & Austria:
- Fachakademie Für Übersetzen und Dolmetschen - IFB Kempten
- Heinrich Heine University Dusseldorf
- Philipps-Universität Marburg
- Ruprecht Karls Universität Heidelberg
- Universitat Augsburg
- Universität Salzburg
- Leipzig University
Partner institutions in Italy:
Partner Institutions in Spain:
- Universidad de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
- Universidad de Oviedo
- Universidad del Pais Vasco
- Universidad Europa Miguel de Cervantes
- Universidad de Cádiz
- Universidad de Cordoba
- Universitat de Lleida
- Universidad de Vigo,
- Universidad de Sevilla
Another option that is rarely taken up by students is the work placement year abroad. This option for your year abroad is normally only encouraged where it forms an academically respectable part of your development; for example we have had students following joint courses with Accounting and Finance, Business Management who have been placed in private sector organisations in other countries for the year.
As a department, we do not approve placements as an aupair.
If you have connections which you believe may lead to a reliable offer of an acceptable placement, talk to your Year Abroad Tutor at an early stage. We will need to see, in writing, a job description and a concrete offer of a placement.