Student Visa Compliance
New Students Arrival and Pre-Registration Tasks
Before you are able to register for your course with your Department, you will need to to do the following:
- Activate your Aber email account;
- After you have arrived in Aberystwyth, upload your visa documents via your student portal. You will receive regular emails telling you how to do this;
- If you are a student visa holder you will also need to arrange to meet with the Compliance Team in person. Details on how to do this will be sent you. Before you can register you will need to present your documents/visa/passport. Students who are not in university accommodation will also need to bring proof of accommodation in (or within 30 miles of) Aberystwyth in the form of a signed contract / or other confirmation of address.
All students are expected to arrive in Aberystwyth by the start of term. If you are unable to arrive by the start of term, you must ensure that you arrive as soon as possible after that date and by the latest registration date for your course (this is stated on your CAS).
Please note that Student Visa holders who do not arrive in Aberystwyth and register for their course by the latest registration date on their CAS, will not be able to register and sponsorship of their student visa will be withdrawn.
If you face travel difficulties you should contact the Compliance Office as soon as possible.
On 5 October 2020, the UK government made changes to the immigration route for students. The 'Tier 4' route has now become the 'Student' route. If you hold a Tier 4 visa, the rules relating to Student Visa apply.
Aberystwyth University is a registered ‘sponsor’ under the Point-Based Immigration system (PBS). This gives us the ability to recruit and sponsor students who are nationals of countries outside of the UK/Republic of Ireland. The Home Office places responsibilities on students and universities to ensure immigration laws are followed.
As a sponsor, Aberystwyth University must fulfil all obligations required by the UKVI in order to sponsor you as a student. It is your responsibility, as sponsored students, to comply with the conditions of your visa, please refer to the guidance on Student Visa Responsibilities
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current Student Resources
- Student Visa Handbook 2023/2024
- Engagement and Attendance Monitoring Policy
- Protecting your Student Visa