Dr Edore Akpokodje B.Sc.(Ibadan) , Masters in Information Science (Ibadan), PhD (Aberystwyth), FHEA
Lecturer in Computer Science
I have a BSc in Computer Science and a Masters in Information Science from the University of Ibadan, Nigeria. I also have a PhD in Computer Science from Aberystwyth University, UK with particular focus on the application of mobile technology in Agriculture.
- I was awarded a Computer Science Department Overseas Scholarship (CSDOPS) to study for a PhD in Computer Science at Aberystwyth University, Wales, 2015.
- I won the Best PhD Project Paper Award at the Doctoral Consortium of the 6th International Conference on Cloud Computing Services Science, Rome, Italy; 23 -25th April, 2016. CLOSER 2017 - PreviousAwards (scitevents.org).
- I am a member of the Advanced Media Production Team shortlisted for the Knowledge Exchange/TransFer Initiative of the Year at the ‘THE Awards’ – 2021 Welsh Media Course Shortlisted for Top Award — Advanced Media Production (aber.ac.uk)
- CS39440 - Major Project
- SEM5640 - Developing Advanced Internet-Based Applications
- CS12020 - Introduction to Programming
- CS11110 - Information security
- CS12320 - Programming Using an Object-Oriented Language
Broadly speaking my research interests are around using mobile technology to help farmers. As part of my PhD, I developed a query technique which was implemented on a mobile application to help farmers access locally relevant information via mobile phones.
My supervisor Prof. Chris Price was awarded a GCRF Seed grant, Aberystwyth University, Wales, UK for a project titled 'Automated Agricultural Analytics' based on my PhD work. The grant was used to organise Focused group discussions and conduct surveys with small holder farmers in Nigeria to elicit the perception of the agricultural extension services they receive. The mobile application we developed was then deployed to help those small holder farmers improve access to agricultural extension information via mobile phones.
I was also a member of a team of scientists from Aberystwyth University that were awarded an Aberystwyth University Research Fund Grant (£6000) to organise a conference/workshop titled “FoodSecNet; a Nigerian-UK network to provide sustainable solutions to Food Production”