Payment to Self-Employed and Personal Service Companies

All payments to individuals must be made in accordance with the HMRC rules shown below and therefore we ask that any payments of this kind be made subject to the completion of the 'Check employment status for tax' form on the HMRC website below and send in electronically or a formal letter from the tax authorities stating that any work done for the University is made on a self employed basis. We are now required to have a process in place to capture such information before a decision is made to pay gross or via the Payroll Office.

Any questions on this issue should be referred to the Procurement Department, please scan and send any questionnaires via e-mail to


Form & Guidance

Check employment status for tax

HMRC - Employment Status Guidance