Hugh Owen Library Level D Refurbishment Summer 2017
At the start of the summer vacation 2017 Information Services are planning to refurbish Level D (the ground floor) of the Hugh Owen Library.
1. Why is Level D of the Hugh Owen Library being refurbished?
From regular student feedback, there is a clear requirement to maximise, update and improve appropriate student study spaces in the Hugh Owen Library. Through this refurbishment project we aim to:
- Reconfigure the layout to improve the flow through the building and user access to facilities and services.
- Open up and repurpose some of the existing ‘back of house’ areas to provide additional user space
- Improve the lighting, heating and ventilation to make a more comfortable environment for our users
- Update the decoration and furnishing to provide a space that meets our users’ needs
Information Services are currently working with architects to develop a refurbishment scheme that meets these needs.
Services are relocated to Level E of the library for the duration of the works, to ensure that services to our users are maintained and that disruption is kept to a minimum.
2. How long will the refurbishment take?
The building works commenced on 5th June 2017. We hope to return our services to our newly refurbished level D ready for the new year – Wednesday 3 January 2018.
3. How will library users be affected during the refurbishment?
- All IS services currently available from Level D will be relocated to Level E from the morning of 06 June for the duration of the works (06 June 2017 until January 2018).
- The Hugh Owen Training Room will be closed for the duration of the works but the computer room on Level E of the library will remain open and available throughout.
- The video conferencing facilities in the Hugh Owen Library have been relocated to Cledwyn G28.
- The existing entrance to the library will be closed and Level D will be inaccessible for the duration of the works.
- From the 6th of June all users must use the current emergency entrance which is located on Level E of the library and faces the upper foyer at the south end of the Hugh Owen building (above entrance to the Welsh and Celtic Studies department).
4. Where do I go if I need library / IT / binding help during the refurbishment?
For the duration of the works, Library, IT Enquiry Desks and services will be located on Level E of the Hugh Owen library. To access our services please visit us at the temporary service desk on Level E.
5. Can I still return my library books in the overnights bin during the refurbishment?
Yes, we will reposition this overnights return bin outside the temporary entrance to the library and our librarians will continue to empty this bin every morning. During the day please return all library loans to the Enquiry Desk.
6. Will visitors still be able to visit the library during the works?
We welcome all visitors to our library during refurbishment works. We ask that any visitor to Hugh Owen library registers with us at the temporary service desk on Level E.
We will provide updated information as the project plans develop.
We welcome your feedback on this project: General Content
Information Services, Aberystwyth University, Hugh Owen Library, Penglais, Aberystwyth, SY23 3DZ
Tel: 01970 62 2400 Fax: 01970 62 2404 Email: email@example.com