Here in the Department of Theatre, Film and Television Studies, we provide high-quality learning, teaching and research opportunities for students from Wales, the United Kingdom, Europe and beyond.
As one of the few interdisciplinary departments of its kind in the UK, we offer a unique experience that meets the diverse needs and aspirations of all our students. We play a key role in developing talented individuals who go on to excel within the Creative Industries.
Why choose the Department of Theatre, Film and Television Studies at Aberystwyth University?
- As a student in our department, you will be part of a vibrant and creative and interdisciplinary community in which you will have every opportunity to thrive.
- Aberystwyth is set in a stunning location, where the rolling Cambrian mountains meet the coastline and beaches of Cardigan Bay. Set between dragons and dolphins, there will always be something to inspire your imagination and creativity.
- Many of our teaching staff are leading professionals working in the fields of Film, Media, Theatre and Scenography as well as being active researchers at the cutting edge of their disciplines.
- This research forms the basis of our teaching, and throughout your studies you will be introduced to a broad range of thinking, making, writing, experimenting and exploring.
- You will be taught by the people who make the performances, who write the plays, who make the films, alongside those that write the theory and create the textbooks.
- We have playwrights, performers, directors, scenographers, film makers, media communicators and academics working alongside each other in a culture of shared exploration, asking that most fundamental of questions “What if.....?”
- We explore Theatre, Film, Media and Scenography, questioning what it was, what it is now and what it might look like in the future.
- We offer integrated schemes of study, combining creative and critical approaches to all disciplines through innovative practical work and challenging scholarly enquiry.
- You will gain intellectual, practical and transferable skills that will prepare you for a variety of careers in the creative industries and many other fields.
- We ensure that we give you plenty of opportunities to get practical experience through well-established and active relationships with key industry partners.
- We have an excellent reputation for the quality of our teaching and learning environment, as well as the cultural experience that we provide for our students.
- In the 2020 National Student Survey, we achieved 90% overall student satisfaction for the department and 98% of our students agreed that staff are good at explaining things.
- You will be part of a campus university with its own sports centre, a busy Arts Centre, and the National Library of Wales nearby - one of only five copyright libraries in the UK.
- Our aim is to ensure a student experience that is both memorable and cherished.
- Your future is very important to us.
If you have any queries, please do get in touch with us, or follow us on Twitter or Facebook (details on our homepage).
Professor Simon Banham
Head of Department