DGES Taster Days for pre-applicants
The Department of Geography and Earth Sciences invite you to their University Taster Day on Friday 14th September 2018.
We will explore the natural laboratory of Aberystwyth and its surroundings, and cover key A-Level themes, including:
1. Biomass and the carbon cycle.
2. Urban risk and change.
- Read the finer details and FAQs below.
- Register for our Open Day on Saturday 15th September > English / Cymraeg.
- Register for your Taster Day place here
The finer details
The Taster Day kicks off from 12.00. We’ll meet in the Llandinam Building, located on the main University Penglais Campus. A buffet lunch will be provided for you and your guests.
During the Taster Day we’ll visit locations in and around Aberystwyth. There will be staff-led projects and student activities throughout the afternoon which, in addition to subsequent discussions, will supplement your current studies at A-Level/ Further Education.
Our lecturers will ensure that you arrive back on Penglais Campus at around 17.30.
What to bring
We will be out in the "field" all afternoon. Whilst the weather in September can be settled, we all know what British weather is like... So, we’ve listed both essential and suggested items for you:
- Sturdy and comfortable footwear. We will be walking on well-managed paths for the majority of the day, but there will also be gravelled and cobbled surfaces to navigate as well.
- Comfortable legwear (jeans not always suitable).
- Waterproof jacket.
- Sun protection (hat, sunglasses, sun cream).
- Snacks and plenty of fluid for the afternoon.
- A camera.
- A small notepad and pencil.
Also consider bringing:
- A small amount of cash for mid-afternoon refreshments.
For further information, or to express an interest in our Taster Day, please contact Helen Stockley Jones at email@example.com
Q. I'm a teacher, can I bring a group of students along?
A. Absolutely! Please contact us directly to arrange the logistics.
Q. What time should I/we arrive?
A. We suggest you aim to arrive at 12 noon for our arrival buffet. The Taster Day begins at 12.45. We will meet in the Llandinam Building (home of DGES) and aim to begin the fieldtrip proper at 13.00.
Q. What time does the Taster Day finish?
A. We will aim to wrap up the field day activities by 17.30.