Frequently Asked Questions - Students

Students on Penglais Campus

If we all keep doing the following protective behaviours, we can continue to keep each other and Wales safe:

  • Get vaccinated
  • good hand hygiene
  • test and self-isolate when you have symptoms
  • wear a face covering in indoor crowded or enclosed places
  • meet others outdoors
  • when indoors, increase ventilation and let fresh air in

Safety on campus

Do I need to wear a facial covering?

In line with Welsh Government advice, the University encourages you to continue wearing a face-covering in indoor public places, unless you have a medical exemption.  This is because face-coverings still make a real difference in limiting infectious transmission.

We ask that you respect each other's choices, whether you choose to continue wearing one or not. 

Do I need to keep a distance on campus?

Keeping a physical distance can help to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and other infectious diseases.

Whilst it is no longer a legal requirement, some may wish to maintain their distance to protect themselves or others, so please try to respect personal space when moving around campus.

I am a student - what should I do if I display COVID-19 symptoms?

The main symptoms of COVID-19 are

  • a high temperature
  • a continuous cough
  • loss or change of taste or smell

If you have any of the main symptoms of COVID-19, you should self-isolate and take a lateral flow test (LFT). Continue to self-isolate until you get your LFT test result.

If you have a negative LFT test

You can leave self-isolation immediately.

If you have a positive LFT test

You should follow the Welsh Government self-isolation guidance.

You should also notify the University by logging into your student record (, click on the Personal tab and choose Report COVID-19 symptoms from the drop-down menu. After completing the online form, you will receive further directions by email.


How can I contact the University COVID-19 helpline?

Please contact or call 01970 622483.  The helpdesk is open from 10am-3pm, Monday to Friday.


Do I need to self isolate if I have COVID-19 symptoms or test positive?

For details of what you should do if you have COVID-19 symptoms, have tested positive for COVID-19, or have been in contact with somebody who has COVID-19, visit the Welsh Government website.



Should I inform the University if I am self-isolating?

If you are self-isolating or have received a positive LFD for COVID-19, you should notify the University by logging into your student record, click on the ‘Personal’ tab and choose ‘Report COVID-19 symptoms’ from the drop-down menu.

If I have to self-isolate during term, what teaching support will be offered?

As with any short term illness, students are advised to catch up with their work and seek support from their academic department. While no additional online teaching will be provided, students who are unable to attend for a limited period will be able to access Panopto recordings and other online resources via the module pages on Blackboard, which are available to all students.


Where can I get a COVID-19 vaccine?

The most effective way to minimise risk of serious illness is to get vaccinated, including your booster.  We are strongly encouraging all our students and staff to get vaccinated. 

It is never too late to get the vaccine and walk-in centres are open to all, including international students.

Check the Hywel Dda University Health Board webpage for information about clinics and appointments.


Will the University be offering ‘study from home’ in 2021-22?

The University will not be offering ‘study from home’ in 2021-22. Delayed arrival at Aberystwyth will be limited to international students who have applied on the basis of travel restrictions.

What are the rules about international travel to Wales?

There are currently no restrictions on travel when you arrive to the UK or Wales.

However, Welsh Government still urges caution and advises isolating and taking a lateral flow test if you are experiencing Covid-19 symptoms. 

Please visit the Welsh Government website for up-to-date information on International Travel to and from Wales.

What are the rules about international travel from Wales?

Before you go you should check the requirements for visitors in the country you plan to travel to.  Restrictions may be still be in place, for example, proof of vaccination, negative tests, quarantine and reasons for entry.

The Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) provide general guidance for British people travelling abroad (on GOV.UK).

The FCDO also provide advice about travelling abroad, including the latest information on coronavirus, safety and security, entry requirements and travel warnings. This includes advice and information about entry requirements such as covid tests and isolation for countries that you intend to visit (on GOV.UK).

Carriers may have their own requirements for negative tests to allow boarding and travel. 

The NHS COVID pass is available for people in Wales who have had two doses of vaccination and are travelling to a country that requires COVID vaccination proof.

If it is necessary to show a negative test before you can travel those must not be NHS tests instead you must book and pay for tests from a private test provider. .

You can also stay safe while you are away by following the same measures which help keep you safe while you are at home.

I need to get a COVID-19 test before international travel. What do I need to do?

It is important that you check the exact specifications of the test required to travel to your destination – whether it is a PCR or Rapid Antigen test. Please also check the timeframe you need to have it in with your airline.

In all cases the tests must be paid for privately. 

There are no local providers of private in-store PCR tests and you would need to travel to get one - Carmarthen or Shrewsbury are the nearest locations.  

Some test providers: